An excellent space for thinking and incubating ideas – Naomi Winstone reflects on her time at CRADLE

Towards the end of October, the University of Surrey’s Dr Naomi Winstone arrived to visit CRADLE for six weeks. She enjoyed a jam-packed calendar of events – including CRADLE’s 2019 International Symposium, and keynoting Deakin’s 2019 Teaching and Learning Conference – and plenty of research conversations with the CRADLE team. Before she returned to the UK, Naomi took some time to reflect on her stay at CRADLE, from the exciting research collaborations underway to encounters with the local wildlife!

Q. What did you hope to achieve from your visit to CRADLE?

For me, this visit was a chance to immerse myself in research for six weeks. Back in the UK I have a management role that takes up the majority of my day-to-day working time. I wanted to consolidate existing collaborations with CRADLE and kick off some new projects, and just have space to think and to write.

Q. What did you most enjoy about your time at CRADLE?

The two main events in which I have been involved have been amazing. The feedback literacy symposium at Waurn Ponds was a great opportunity to spend time with an international group of scholars and develop a research agenda to address this important topic. The Deakin Learning and Teaching conference was also a highlight. It was a real privilege to give the keynote, and I learned so much from the presentations I attended.

Q. Have you come across any ideas or had any discussions which have challenged your thinking?

Photograph of Naomi Winstone, Rola Ajjawi, Margaret Bearman & Joanna Tai at a winery

Naomi with CRADLE’s Rola Ajjawi, Margaret Bearman and Joanna Tai

Every single day! The environment in CRADLE provides an excellent space for thinking and the incubation of ideas. A real strength of CRADLE is the variety of different methodological lenses on the topic of assessment and feedback. I’ve been challenged to think beyond the cognitive to consider the role of the material in feedback processes, and I’ve also really valued chats with the Deakin Learning Futures team which have given me lots of ideas to take back to the UK.

Q. How will your visit to CRADLE impact your future research directions?

We have some exciting projects underway and others which we are planning! I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to collaborate with the team at CRADLE, as they are recognised internationally as leaders in the field.

Q. What is one thing you will take away with you from your visit?

A much deeper understanding of the Australian higher education system, which has further highlighted both some important synergies but also points of departure between the UK and Australia. This will definitely inform future collaborative research proposals.

Composite image: top - a wild koala in a tree; bottom - a little penguin on the rocks

Two of Naomi’s highlights – a wild koala along the Great Ocean Road, and a penguin at St Kilda

Q. Best coffee spot and best dining spot you discovered in Melbourne?

My favourite coffee spot is Saporito on Kavanagh Street. On my first day in Australia, I landed very early in the morning and Saporito was the first coffee shop I came to. The staff were so friendly, and even overlooked my Pommie faux pas of asking for an Americano rather than a long black! The coffee was excellent and they do great brunch too. I have had such amazing food whilst in Melbourne that I can’t pick out a single place. I think the stand-out dishes have been the stuffed zucchini flowers at Uncle on Collins, and the pad thai at Cookie on Swanston.

Q. Highlight of your visit to Melbourne?

I have loved the opportunity to see some of Australia, particularly the wildlife! During my trip along the Great Ocean Road I was lucky enough to see wild koalas, and I’ve been to St. Kilda Pier twice to see the penguins at dusk. It was a magical experience that I will never forget. I also had a great visit to some vineyards in the Yarra Valley with the CRADLE team.

To keep up with Naomi’s research, follow her on Twitter: @DocWinstone

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *