A cradle of thoughts and academic friendship – Jiming Zhou reflects on her time at CRADLE

In September last year, Dr Jiming Zhou (Fudan University) arrived for a year’s visit to CRADLE. Her stay has included research exploring Chinese international students’ assessment experiences in Australian universities, a CRADLE Seminar Series presentation on the same topic, and plenty of research conversations with the CRADLE team. Before she returns to Shanghai, Jiming took the time to reflect on her stay at CRADLE – from the benefits of collaborative research to a magical time at the theatre!

Q. What did you hope to achieve from your visit to CRADLE?

I came with some data from my previous projects and a proposal for conducting a new project here. I’m interested in the role of assessment in enhancing students’ learning during their school-university transitional period. My one-year visit to CRADLE enabled me to extend my research from the Chinese university context to the Australian university setting. 

What did you most enjoy about your time at CRADLE?

Here is a cradle of thoughts and academic friendship. I enjoyed the dialogue with academics with similar research interest. I can feel the mutually-nurturing atmosphere within CRADLE, and it has been so great to immerse myself in these dialogues and interactions. CRADLE is a great platform for meeting other international visitors, too. Every month there is at least one fabulous seminar. So it is hard to say what I enjoyed most— I’ve been enjoying my CRADLE visit as a whole, from the academic atmosphere to the inspiring dialogues and thought-provoking seminars, especially the friendship with people in CRADLE!

Jiming with CRADLE’s Phill Dawson, Margaret Bearman and Paige Mahoney

Have you come across any ideas or had any discussions which have challenged your thinking?

A lot of new ideas! The CRADLE team are not only good at conducting empirical research but also highly competent in writing conceptual papers. I have been encouraged to move outside my comfort zone and write a conceptual paper. For me, this is a new and exciting experience.

How will your visit to CRADLE impact your future research directions?

We will have some further collaboration on the project about Chinese international students’ assessment experience in Australian universities. Examining assessment- and feedback-related topics within and across cultures and contexts will be my future research directions.

What is one thing you will take away with you from your visit?

Doing research is a co-constructive process. The CRADLE team have been solving the research problem collaboratively; more importantly, they have done so well to create and maintain a safe and efficient problem-solving space. I hope that I can forge a similar collaborative bond with some colleagues at my university.

Exterior view of the Princess Theatre, Melbourne, at dusk, with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child promotional text and materials

A highlight of Jiming’s visit – Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Photo: T Wallis

Best coffee spot and best dining spot you discovered in Melbourne?

Queen Victoria Market, Prahan Market— every market in Melbourne is interesting. I think you’d better talk with Paige or Joanna if you don’t know what to do in Melbourne. They will never let you down.

Highlight of your visit to Melbourne?

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child! If you are not from New York or London and you happen to be a Harry Potter fan, I highly recommend you to pre-order the tickets before you arrive in Melbourne. 

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *