Introducing CRADLE’s newest PhD scholarship holder!

In this post we hear from CRADLE’s newest strategic PhD scholarship holder, Ameena L. Payne. Ameena shares her thoughts on her decision to undertake further study and aspirations for the PhD journey ahead.

Tell us a little about yourself and what made you choose to do a PhD?

I’m Ameena and I love being outdoors, immersed in nature, in my spare time. It’s here where opportunities feel limitless, and it’s where I most experience genuine freedom and joy; this is an important part of me and my grounding as I start my doctoral journey. Much like nature, my academic and career trajectory has been ‘nonlinear’ but not random; insights I’ve gained in one pathway have served to nurture others. I chose to pursue a PhD because I want to strengthen my research skills, study my chosen topic deeply and challenge knowledge. I believe a PhD will open doors that will lead toward my development goals, allow me to hold those doors open for others and perhaps even positively shape the future of higher education.

What is your PhD topic and how does CRADLE suit your research?

Broadly, my topic is about academic feedback-seeking and feedback-sharing in higher education. More specifically, I’m interested in the ways in which online, academic ‘counterspaces’ may diminish threats/barriers to feedback-seeking and feedback-sharing behaviours. CRADLE suits my research given the strong focus on feedback and the affiliation seemed like a natural progression from my Deakin Master of Education minor thesis topic.

What are you most looking forward to during your PhD journey?

I’m looking forward to learning and unlearning – both about myself and my topic. I’m emboldened by the challenges that will shift into breakthroughs and celebrations. I’m also enthusiastic about being in conversation with other scholars.

Feel free to catch on me on Twitter @AmeenaLPayne or via email [email protected].

Category list: News, PhD Students, Scholarships

Tag list: Tags: , ,

Comments
1 Comment

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *