Skip to navigation Skip to content
Student Keegan with friends on a Study Abroad trip

17 September 2024

Study abroad adventures: what Keegan learned in Czechia

At Deakin, you have access to an incredible study abroad program that lets you choose from more than 120 global learning opportunities in over 30 countries. These range in length from a few weeks to a year, and you gain course credit (not to mention many wonderful memories and international friends!) at the same time.

Keegan Marsh, a Bachelor of International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce and Master of International Relations student, has seen many parts of the globe and shares how his latest adventure in Czechia has enhanced his studies, contributed towards his future aspirations, and granted him unique memories to last a lifetime.

My short-term exchange at Masaryk University in Brno, Czechia, was a pivotal chapter in my academic and personal development. Studying the unit International Relations and Threats to Global Security provided me with a deep understanding of international security issues, significantly enhancing my broader studies in international relations.

Living in Brno offered many unforgettable experiences. One of the highlights was attending an ice hockey game, where the enthusiasm of local fans, complete with rhythmic drums and energetic chants, created an electrifying atmosphere. Participating in karaoke nights, and attempting to sing Czech songs, was another memorable activity. These evenings were a great way to bond with other students. The affordability of beer in Brno was a bonus, although I was caught off guard by the extreme cold, especially when temperatures dropped to -13 degrees.

We also explored other cities, starting with Budapest. Budapest provided a mix of cultural and historical experiences. The city’s historic thermal baths and bustling markets were highlights, and the views from the Fisherman’s Bastion, as well as the grandeur of the Hungarian Parliament Building, were particularly memorable.

Next, we visited Prague, which captivated me with its stunning architecture and rich history. Walking through the cobblestone streets and visiting landmarks like the Charles Bridge and Prague Castle was truly captivating.

The program concluded in Vienna, where the impressive architecture and deep historical roots stood out. Learning about its significance in the Holy Roman Empire, the Empire of Austria, and Austria-Hungary was incredibly enriching. The complex history of the Holy Roman Empire, often described as neither holy, Roman, nor an empire, was especially intriguing.

Collaborating with students from Japan and South Korea on a group project was a significant part of my experience.

Our collaboration allowed us to exchange diverse perspectives on international relations, resulting in a highly successful project that earned a perfect score. Additionally, I became friends with Kylie, a student from South Korea. When Kylie recently visited Australia, several other students from the same program and I had the opportunity to show him around Melbourne. We introduced him to the classic chicken parma, which he thoroughly enjoyed. This friendship and cultural exchange underscored the importance of building international connections and understanding diverse viewpoints.

Reflecting on my time at Masaryk University, the combination of intensive academic engagement and cultural interactions has been invaluable to my personal and professional growth.

The discussions on global security threats and collaboration with international peers have significantly shaped my aspirations in diplomacy. This experience has strengthened my desire to pursue a career with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the United Nations, providing me with crucial insights and skills for my future. I gained a deeper understanding of the complexities of international security issues and learned the importance of diverse perspectives in problem-solving. Additionally, the experience honed my intercultural communication skills, which are essential for a successful diplomatic career.

The experience at Masaryk University was about much more than just earning credit points. It was about broadening my horizons and forming meaningful connections. For those considering international study experiences, I highly recommend embracing such opportunities. They provide a broader understanding of the world, extending far beyond traditional academic learning. The knowledge, skills, and friendships gained during this program will undoubtedly have a lasting impact on my future career in international relations and diplomacy.

Keen to broaden your horizons in T3?

Gain a global perspective while earning credit towards your degree! Find out more about Deakin Abroad’s Short Term Partner Programs and apply for a T3 2024 program now.

Got a question or interested in other opportunities? See the Study Abroad webpage or email [email protected].