Skip to navigation Skip to content

3 May 2024

‘Don’t be afraid to ask for help!’: Writing Mentor Jolene shares how you can improve your academic writing

As we head towards the final weeks of Trimester 1, it’s peak time for completing assessments. Are you tackling your assessments with confidence or are you feeling a little unsure of where to even begin?

We invited Writing Mentor Jolene Rosca to share a little bit about herself and offer her advice on how to create outstanding assessments.

Why become a Writing Mentor?

I initially became a Writing Mentor since I had already been involved within the Students Helping Students stream at Deakin in the past. I had been familiar with the Writing Mentor service but I really wanted to learn more about the different ways they helped students, separate from other SHS roles.

Top three tips

We asked Jolene what top tips she would offer for students who lack confidence in their writing and want to improve their skills.

Don’t leave your assessment to the last minute

First of all, don’t leave your assessment until the last minute. As a general rule of thumb, I like to start my assessments at least two weeks before the due date. This gives me enough time to research, outline, draft, redraft, edit, and proofread.

This bracket of time will also give you a chance to ask questions about your assessment if there are any areas you need clarification on. It also gives you time to have a look at your assessment with fresh eyes. If you are proofreading your work a few days after you draft, you might catch some things you didn’t notice the first time around and adjust it to better fit the assessment’s rubric.

Planning is important

Second, don’t underestimate the importance of planning. I would say planning probably takes the most time when writing an assessment.

Having a good structure is key to a good paper. Once you have a good outline, it will be easier to know what kind of information you are looking for. An outline also provides you with a guide for your writing. This makes the writing process much more fluid since you aren’t staring at a blank piece of paper for 3 hours.

If you need a hand with coming up with an essay structure, come along to a Writing Mentor drop-in. We can have a look at your assessment criteria with you to come up with an effective outline.

Ask for help

Third, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are so many supports at Deakin that you can turn to if you are having trouble with an assessment, Writing Mentors, Maths Mentors, Language and Learning Advisers, Unit Chairs, Librarians, etc.

Each support service provides a different type of support. If we are unable to provide you the support you need, we will be sure to refer you to the right team.

Writing Mentor Jolene Rosca

I remember not being confident in my writing at the beginning, and I definitely found study support at Deakin helpful for my academic journey. I wanted the chance to help other students succeed in their studies by sharing some of the things I have learnt throughout my time as a student.

Attend a Writing Mentor drop-in session

Writing Mentors can be a separate pair of eyes that can have a look at your assessment. Though we cannot proofread your work, we can look at specific areas you might be concerned with, for example, cohesion, structure or a particular section.

Additionally, Writing Mentors are students so we know what you are going through. We have been where you are. We know assessment guidelines are sometimes difficult to comprehend. We know that starting an assessment can be just as daunting as submitting it. We, as Writing Mentors, can support you by sharing the skills we have learned throughout our academic journey. Each Writing Mentor has a different academic background and area of expertise. We all aim to improve the Writing Mentor service by learning from each other’s experiences. So, don’t hesitate to reach out if you need a hand.

What to expect at a Writing Mentor drop-in session

Typically, a Writing Mentor will have a one-on-one chat with you to determine the areas in which you require assistance. The Writing Mentor will then work with you to overcome these issues and provide you with relevant resources.

We get several types of questions from students, so I would say preparing for a drop-in would depend on the student’s needs.

Get in touch with a Writing Mentor today!

If you want to chat to a Writing Mentor, like Jolene, about any aspect of your assessment, attend one of our drop-in sessions hosted by a Writing Mentor! 

You can opt to attend one of the daily online drop-in sessions or attend the weekly on-campus sessions at Burwood or Waurn Ponds. You don’t need an appointment, just bring your assessment and your questions. You can also get in touch via email for referencing questions and brief queries.