Skip to navigation Skip to content
Three students walking outside Building LC

28 July 2021

Where to go if you need medical help or other wellbeing support in T2, 2021

We hope you’ve made a positive start to Trimester 2/Semester 2 (T2/S2). It’s never been more important to look after yourself as you study, especially as COVID-19 remains a continuing source of uncertainty. Feeling your best is the first step towards academic success, so make sure you access our health and wellbeing services whenever you need some physical, mental or spiritual support. Most of these are free and are also available online if needed.

Have a medical check-up

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. We have both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to assist with your physical and mental wellbeing. You can also get your course-related or seasonal influenza vaccinations. 

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

Book online or by phone for a face-to-face or telehealth consultation. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

Talk to a professional counsellor

Don’t let uni or your personal life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free and confidential support to Deakin students located in Australia. This service is safe, respectful and inclusive, and here to help all students.  

Make a telehealth appointment today to chat to one of our highly skilled counsellors.

If you’re not ready to talk one-on-one, check out our Ask Counselling blog – it’s a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Get disability support

Our Disability Resource Centre (DRC) supports the University community to be more inclusive of, and provide adjustments for, students for whom disability, or a health or mental health condition affects their access to education.

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your particular disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Chat to a multifaith chaplain

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance and a space for reflection. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Contact a chaplain today.

Seek support for threatening behaviour

We want our students and staff to feel safe at all times. Safer Community is a Deakin-wide service that aims to keep our community secure.  

Contact Safer Community to:

All assistance is confidential. You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns and issues, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

Discover our digital resources

The eWellbeing Hub in DeakinSync is your digital health helper! This collection of articles and apps covers everything from mental health to physical health, from keeping fit to learning to relax, from eating well to staying safe.

Keep Deakin COVIDSafe

The safety of our community remains Deakin’s priority. To attend campus, you must:

Our Health and Wellbeing Centres are NOT COVID-19 testing facilities. If you have any flu-like symptoms, call the 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website for a list of testing sites and other information.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University.

Best of luck for T2/S2!

back to top