Help us build an international student social program – and you could win $50!
Every year, we welcome thousands of new international students to our Deakin community. Each one of you has a unique background and story, and we’re so thrilled that you’ve chosen Deakin for your studies.
Since early 2020, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic means we’ve been welcoming many commencing international students online, while we all wait for overseas travel to restart.
No matter your circumstances, we want you to have an excellent student experience at Deakin. Whether you’re an established or new international student, and regardless of your current location, it’s so important to build connections with your peers.
But how can you do this when you may be studying online or when COVID restrictions are in place? Border closures or limited access to campus can make it a real challenge to feel like you belong to the Deakin community.
Even when you’re able to be on campus in a ‘COVID-Normal’ environment, it can still be hard to overcome homesickness or loneliness, adjust to unfamiliar routines and settings, and create new networks and friendship groups.
We want your ideas!
We’re making it our mission to overcome these challenges by creating a meaningful and sustainable international student social connection program – but we need your help and input!
For example, what are the best ways or platforms for you to connect with other students? Is it more important for you to get to know students in your course or across the wider uni? What kinds of activities and events would you find enjoyable, and how should these be held? When are the best times for you to participate?
To help us create the university experience that YOU want, please share your ideas, experiences and feedback in our international student survey. We want to hear from international students based both in Australia and overseas.
As thanks for your time and ideas, we’re offering $50 Deakin Card credit to five lucky students – winners will be drawn randomly from all students who complete the survey.
The survey is only open until 9am AEST on Monday 9 August, so don’t delay – share your thoughts now. We look forward to hearing from you!
Terms and conditions
The promoter of this competition is Deakin University ABN 56 721 584 203 of 1 Gheringhap Street, Geelong VIC 3220
- Information on how to enter forms part of these Terms and Conditions. By entering, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and entries must comply with these Terms and Conditions to be valid.
- This competition is governed by the laws in force in the state of Victoria, Australia.
- The competition is free to enter and is strictly for current Deakin international students who are completing the International Student Social Connection Survey. These students will be entered into the competition once they have submitted the survey in the manner set out in the Terms and Conditions.
- Staff employed by Deakin University and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the competition.
- The competition period for all campuses is from Monday 26 July to 9am AEST, Monday 9 August 2021.
- There will be a prize pool of five x $50 Deakin Card credits. The total value of the prize pool is $250.
How to enter
- To enter, students must successfully complete the International Student Social Connection Survey before the survey closing date.
Selection and notification of winner
- Winners will be selected from all eligible survey submissions, from all campuses and drawn at random.
- Winners will be announced on Wednesday 11 August 2021 on the International Student Facebook Group and in this blog.
- Winners will be notified by email or phone.
- Winners will have $50 credit automatically loaded on to their Deakin Card.
- If the winner does not respond to claim the prize within seven days of contact from Deakin University, the winner forfeits the prize, and another random entry will be chosen. This process may continue until the prize is awarded.
- Prizes are not transferable and are not redeemable for cash. Deakin’s decision is final and binding – no correspondence will be entered in to. Deakin accepts no responsibility for late, lost, or misdirected entries or other communications. Entries will be deemed void if forged, manipulated, or tampered with in any way.
- Entrants consent to Deakin using their name, image, or voice for promotional purposes. Entrants agree to make themselves available for a photograph and interview if theirs is the winning entry and if requested by Deakin.
- Winners consent to their name and photograph being published on Deakin University social media and other digital channels if requested to in all forms as determined by the Division of Student Life.
Privacy collection, use and disclosure statement
Personal information provided to Deakin University by entrants will be used to notify the winner of the competition. A photograph of the winners may be published on Deakin University’s social media channels including Facebook, Instagram and WordPress and other digital channels such as the Deakin Life blog.
Deakin University complies with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) in its treatment of personal information. Entrants have a right to access their personal information held by the University. Requests for access to personal information are managed under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).