Skip to navigation Skip to content
Two female and one male student walking on Burwood Campus

18 July 2022

What to do if you get sick or need other wellbeing support in T2, 2022

Trimester 2 is here! But so is winter – the season of flu and other ailments – so it’s important to know about our student health and wellbeing services.

Feeling your best is the first step towards academic success, so we encourage you to access these services if you’re feeling sick, overwhelmed, excluded, lonely, unsure or worried.

See a doctor or nurse

Deakin Medical Centres offer all the services of a community medical centre. We have both male and female doctors, as well as nurses, to help with your physical and mental wellbeing. You can also get your course-related, travel and seasonal influenza vaccinations.

Your confidential appointment will be bulk-billed if you have a Medicare card or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), so you generally won’t have to pay anything (exceptions apply to private vaccines and some procedure fees).

Book online or call 9244 5577 to make an appointment. You can also email [email protected] if you have a quick question about your health.

During your appointment you must wear a face mask. Please do NOT attend if you’re isolating for COVID-19 on the day of your appointment. If you’re not feeling well or you’re a confirmed contact, visit the Victorian Government COVID Checklist for next steps.

Talk to a professional counsellor

Don’t let uni or your personal life become overwhelming. If you’re having emotional or mental health issues, or if you just need to talk to someone, our Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) team offers free and confidential support to Deakin students located in Australia. This service is safe, respectful and inclusive.

We also have some specialist counsellors available for particular students – just select your relevant cohort when you book:

If you’re based overseas, you can access 24/7 free and confidential support in your local area.

Not ready to talk one-on-one? Ask Counselling is a collection of anonymous student questions that have been answered by Deakin counsellors. Search by topic or submit your own question for a tailored reply.

Get disability support

If disability, or a health or mental health condition, may affect your study experience, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) can help. The DRC supports the University community to be more inclusive and provide necessary adjustments. 

When you register with the DRC, you’ll be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO), who will help you access the services appropriate to your disability or condition. You might also receive a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which is designed to minimise any educational disadvantage.

Chat to a multifaith chaplain

Whether or not you practise a religion, our multifaith chaplains offer guidance and a space for reflection. From support in times of grief or loss to non-judgmental advice about any kind of problem, you’ll find a warm welcome.

Seek support for threatening behaviour

We want everyone to feel safe, respected and included while they’re at Deakin. Safer Community is a University-wide service that aims to keep our community safe. Contact us to:

All assistance is confidential (unless required by law). You’ll safely be able to talk about your concerns, and may receive personal safety advice, intervention guidance and support, and referral information.

Take control with DeakinWELLBEING

The DeakinWELLBEING app is your free one-stop-shop for all things health – both physical and mental. Based on the five ways to build wellbeing – connecting, being active, taking notice, keep learning and giving – the app makes it easy to find balance and develop healthy habits.

The interactive, fun and bite-sized activities, resources and information enable you to take small steps every day to build positive habits, coping skills and resilience.

Still not sure where to go?

Just contact Student Central, who can direct you to services right across the University. 

back to top