Skip to navigation Skip to content
Man speaking in front of whiteboard

25 January 2022

Business students: stand out from the crowd with these work experience opportunities

Do you want to give yourself a competitive edge with prospective employers? Consider doing some hands-on workplace experience in your area of interest through a business Work Integrated Learning (WIL) internship or placement unit. 

Applications for faculty-led WIL Business Programs are now open for Trimester 1! This is your chance to gain real-life experience while earning a credit point for T1, 2022 and the programs are available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students

Australian Business Consultancy (ABC) Program 

Unit(s) MWL316 / MWL716: Explore and develop a strategy in response to a specific business problem provided by an Australian organisation.

Why join the ABC Program?
‘The ABC program was extremely helpful as it increased my exposure to the job market. It gave me the opportunity to directly communicate and work with the founder of a company. This internship has definitely increased my employability as I am now more confident when interacting with employers. This unit has also enhanced my communication, teamwork, presentation, and interviewing skills. I would definitely recommend this unit to any students considering WIL,’ said Anjuli, Bachelor of Commerce student and past ABC Program Consultant.

Business Development Clinic 

Unit(s) MWL316 / MWL716: Discover and use the 7-Levers of Business Framework and experience working with a client to deliver strategies to drive their business profits forward.

Why join the Business Development Clinic?
‘This experience was the best educational experience I have had in university so far. Working with a real business on a profit improvement strategy helped me learn better communication skills, work more interactively with my team compared with group assignments, and develop solutions to ambiguous problems posed to us by the business,’ said Michael, Bachelor of Commerce student and past participant.

Diane, a Bachelor of Business Analytics (Information Systems) student, shares her insights: ‘The Business Development Clinic was the best way to finish my degree. It took all the learning over the years and rolled it into a practical real-world business environment where, as a student, we could help a real business to see things through fresh eyes. As a mature-age student, I could clearly see the how I could apply what I was learning in my workplace and how the models and practical tools will benefit me for years to come. In addition I made professional connections that I am sure will be beneficial to me now and in the future.’

Virtual Business Incubator

Unit code(s) MWL317 / MWL717: Identify, develop, and support a business opportunity that could potentially be taken to market.

Why join the Virtual Business Incubator?
‘The Virtual Business Incubator program instilled an entrepreneurial mindset in me. The aspects to consider when developing an idea into a business opportunity were explained in comprehensive detail. The program also taught ways to develop out-of-the-box thinking to solve business problems,’ said Sekhar, Master of Business (Sport Management) student and past participant.

What are you waiting for? Apply today!

The three available programs have compulsory attendance requirements and you will be required to attend sessions at either Burwood Campus and/or online depending on your selected program. You can find more information about the programs on the Business and Law website, plus see the full 2022 program details, program dates and how to apply via UniHub. Applications close Tuesday 1 February 2022.

Please email the WIL team at [email protected] with any questions.

It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements, and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please speak with a Student Adviser if you are unsure; you can contact them on [email protected] or 9244 6555.