Adopt some healthy habits for 2023 with Deakin’s Summer Program – you might score a DeakinACTIVE membership!
As we all settle into 2023, ask yourself ‘What am I looking forward to this year?’. January may be behind us, but February (or “second January” as many of us call it) is still the perfect time to make new plans to focus on your wellbeing and build some constructive habits for the year ahead.
To kickstart some healthy changes in your life, we encourage you to make the most of the ongoing and exciting opportunities on offer in Deakin’s Summer Program. Check out the diverse range of free and fun experiences happening throughout Victoria in the Summer Program events calendar throughout the rest of February! There’s something for everyone, whether you’re inspired by social activities, sport, art or the natural world.
We’ve also included some easy tips below to help you prioritise your wellbeing, and to stay motivated and focused throughout the year. Plus, to keep your energy firing and your spirits high, we’re also giving you the chance to win a three-month DeakinACTIVE membership! See below for your chance to win.
Make those New Year resolutions stick
First things first: begin with small or modest goals that are actually achievable. Things like instead of having some chocolate or lollies, have a piece of fruit (or “nature’s lollies” as many know them), or walking an extra block each day, can actually make a big difference to your long-term health and wellbeing.
Ensure your goals are specific and give them a timeframe. Instead of ‘get fit’, try ‘go for a one-hour walk once a week’ or ‘attend three new types of exercise class this trimester’.
Make yourself accountable by writing down your goals or sharing them with family or friends. Don’t worry if you slip up a few times or need a break – resolutions aren’t about achieving perfection, but incremental change.
Apply the lessons of the past few years
We understand the last few years have been (and in many ways continue to be) disruptive, but for some people being forced to slow down and suspend old habits or routines has been a blessing in disguise.
Keep up any new-found passions and ask yourself what’s really important to you. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’ to activities when you’re feeling depleted, make time each day to do the things you love and don’t over‑schedule yourself.
There’s heaps of simple ways to put your wellbeing first. Start with a couple of the below tips and see how much better you feel:
- Try the DeakinWELBEING app: Download the DeakinWELLBEING app which brings together a wide range of tips, tools and resources and is accessible 24/7 to better manage stress, improve your resilience and build healthy habits to achieve your personal best.
- Add some colour to your plate: Enjoy your favourite foods in moderation and make sure more than half your serve comprises veggies, salads and fruit in all the colours of the rainbow.
- Swap the cocktail for a mocktail: If you’re entertaining this summer, provide some delicious non-alcoholic options. Check out these fun mocktail recipes from Bupa and VicHealth.
- Get some decent sleep: Remember when you were a kid and you had a regular bedtime every night? Make your own bedtime routine – and switch off your devices at least an hour before bed for a more restful sleep.
- Exercise regularly: Go for a walk with a friend, use a bike to get around, take the stairs when you can or try a new sport – just have a go! Who cares how you look or if you’re any good? All that matters is you’re being active while having a bit of fun.
- Ditch the smokes: Make 2023 the year you quit smoking – there’s amazing help available. As soon as you stop smoking, your body begins to repair itself; over time, your risk of life-threatening health problems, including cancer, reduces dramatically.
- Try a digital detox: Reckon you can live without your devices for a few hours – or even a few days? Give it a go and see how time away from a screen can rejuvenate you! Don’t turn your device off just yet, though, because you could—
Win a DeakinACTIVE membership!
To help you establish healthy habits and reach your fitness goals for the year ahead, we’re giving away two double-pass memberships to DeakinACTIVE at every campus – equalling four three-month memberships each at Burwood, Geelong and Warrnambool. If you’re studying online and are able to access one of these fitness centres, just select your closest location (or a location further away from you if you want to travel, we’re not the boss of you).
To enter, submit the below form by 5pm on Tuesday 28 February 2023. Only one entry per student is permitted. We’ll notify the winners by email on Wednesday 1 March 2023.
This competition is now closed. Congratulations to our winners: Allison Carr, Caitlin Gulli, Harvey Evans, Gypzi Read, Jason O’Brien and Aaron Uthayakumar.