Skip to navigation Skip to content

6 February 2023

Your guide to T3, 2022 exams: tips from a Deakin counsellor on coping with stress

For many students, the exam period can be the most stressful time of the trimester. It’s totally normal to be anxious about exams, or to put pressure on yourself to achieve good marks and meet high personal or family expectations. We’re here to help you through it!

The exam period runs from Thursday 9 to Friday 17 February, so make sure you understand the requirements for your units. For all you need to know, read our recent T3, 2022 exam blogs.

Once you’re across these details, you may still need to calm those pesky nerves. Alison Lau, one of our student counsellors, answers some common questions about exam stress, and explains how to access help and resources.  

‘I’m feeling anxious about my exams and results, but when does stress become something to worry about?’
Stress is a very human reaction to difficult situations – whether you’re a professional athlete or a student, we all need a level of performance stress to do our best. Stress indicates passion for achieving your goals.

But looking too far ahead and asking negative ‘what if’ questions can lead to worrying about worst-case scenarios. Stress manifests in physical forms – a change in appetite, constant headaches/stomach aches, muscle tension, fatigue and agitation. This kind of stress can lead to poor academic and lifestyle outcomes.

Be aware of your typical signs of stress and ask for help when they negatively impact your work, study, health or relationships. Act early.

‘I have a lot of demands placed on me – how can I look after my mental wellbeing?’

‘I put pressure on myself to achieve high marks and my family has high expectations of me. How can I deal with this as I wait for my results?’
Being programmed your whole life to perform well means it’s natural to aim for high marks and want to meet family expectations. But if you worry about the outcome, and avoid contact with – or even lie to – your family, ask yourself: what’s the value in investing time and energy worrying about something you can’t change? While you wait, is there anything more you can do that will improve the outcome? 

If your results are disappointing, be open and honest with your family. As well as reducing your worry and guilt, this could improve how well you understand each other and lead to better support systems. 

‘I feel prepared academically but suffer from horrible nerves during the exam itself – how can I stay calm and focused?’
The more you try to eliminate nerves, the stronger they get! They’re normal, so acknowledge their existence. Guard against worst-case scenarios of forgetting or failing and bring yourself back to the here and now: the exam. Slow down thoughts with calm and even breathing, drink water if you’re sweating and breathe deeply if your heart is pounding. Then do your best!

‘I’d like to talk to someone at Deakin who understands what it’s like to be a student. What services do you offer?’
Check out answers to student questions about stress and coping with exams on Ask Counselling, or ask your own anonymous question. A counsellor will post a tailored response, often including resources and ways to manage stress and other emotional difficulties.

Book a free and confidential appointment with our Counselling and Psychological Support team, who are trained to help you cope with stressful situations and overcome emotional difficulties. They understand what it’s like to be a student and often support students to manage their stress. First appointments are generally available within one to two weeks. If you’re based overseas, you can access local support.

Also check out the DeakinWELLBEING app, which includes interactive tools, videos and podcasts that can enhance relaxation, focus, energy, mood and productivity in minutes.

Best of luck with your exams!

%d bloggers like this: