Skip to navigation Skip to content
Student and Maths Mentor Jennifer Tran

16 August 2022

Something not adding up? Maths Mentor Jennifer shares her advice for study success

Feeling befuddled by maths in your unit work and assessments? We asked Deakin student and Maths Mentor Jennifer Tran to tell us a little about herself and her top tips for succeeding with maths subjects.

Jennifer is currently studying a Bachelor of Science and Law at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus.

What are you hoping to do after university professionally?
I am hoping to get a job in the law industry after my course. I want to work with disadvantaged communities. 

Why did you want to become a Maths Mentor at Deakin?
I wanted to become a Maths Mentor because I love solving problems and I love helping others. Also, my friend was a Maths Mentor and he recommended that I give it a go. 

In your experience, what are the most common problems that students face with maths?
I think the most common problem that students face with maths is that basic concepts are not clear. A lack of foundational maths can lead students to struggle in the long term. 

What are your top three tips for students who may lack confidence with maths and who want to improve their skills in this area?

Why should students attend a Maths Mentor drop-in, and what can a student expect during one of these sessions (whether they’re delivered on campus or online)? Is there anything they should do to prepare?
When students attend our sessions, they can expect guidance and friendliness. Our Maths Mentors are more than happy to help you with any queries or even just have a chat about maths. You do not need to prepare anything BUT you should come with a positive attitude. 

What is the Maths Support Resource Centre and do you have any tips on how students can get the most out of this resource?
The Maths Support Resource Centre is a compilation of lots of maths resources. Students can get the most out of this resource by clicking on their relevant faculty and then the unit they are studying. There are heaps of explanations dealing with concepts that students find difficult and these resources can be extremely helpful if you’re stuck on a topic.

What are your favourite things about being a Maths Mentor?
My favourite thing about being a Maths Mentor is when a student gets a light-bulb moment. It honestly is very rewarding to be able to guide students and give them some confidence. 

Get in touch today!

If you want to chat to someone about your maths concerns, attend one of our online or on-campus drop-ins hosted by a Maths Mentor like Jennifer! You don’t need an appointment, just bring your maths questions. You can share your screen, talk or text with the mentor. You can also get in touch via email and access all the useful resources on the Maths Support Resource Centre at any time.