With 400 HDR scholarships available, you can make your future extraordinary!
Are you interested in developing your intellectual and creative expertise, and taking your career to the next level? Doing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at Deakin will open up a world of opportunities for your future – our exceptional facilities, strategic partnerships, innovative research centres and placement options will give you the practical and applied skills to supercharge your career.
Our research degrees are internationally recognised and highly regarded, and meet Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) standards to ensure national recognition and consistency.
Deakin offers two main types of HDR:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – awarded for a substantial original contribution to knowledge achieved in the expected completion time of three years, with a time limit of four years. The thesis may be presented in several formats and is usually limited to 100,000 words.
- Master by Research – awarded for an original contribution to knowledge achieved in up to two years of full-time candidature (or up to four years part-time). Usually a written thesis of no more than 50,000 words is submitted, although the thesis may be presented in several formats.
To be eligible, you must have a demonstrated ability to undertake significant research in a defined area of interest. Your prior studies will have included advanced coursework in a relevant field, initial training in appropriate research methods and submission of a significant research component in a written report or comparable output.
Find out more about applying for a Higher Degree by Research.
A scholarship can set you up for success
A range of government- and University-funded scholarships are available to support you during your candidature. PhD and research degree scholarships can cover tuition fees, overseas student health cover, living allowances paid as stipends and relocation allowances.
The majority of scholarships are awarded in the annual scholarship round. To be competitive, you’ll need to have a H1 grade average or equivalent.
Up to 400 scholarships are available – learn more about scholarship opportunities.
Applications close on Sunday 31 October.
Learn more by joining our Virtual Open Day sessions
During our Virtual Open Day 2021 on Sunday 15 August, we’ll be hosting a number of sessions about HDR at Deakin.
You can access the following sessions at any time on Sunday 15 August or afterwards:
- HDR Candidature and scholarships – Bring your passion to a university that shares your ambition. Learn how and why to apply for a research program (PhD or Master by Research) at Deakin. We’ll answer all your questions about application, candidature, scholarships and post-candidature opportunities.
- Supercharge your career opportunities with a Deakin PhD – Hear from Deakin PhD graduates who are making a real impact in their fields and current PhD candidates who are solving complex problems through their studies, and learn how to supercharge your career.
The following is a live Q&A session – mark this time in your diary so you don’t miss out:
- Live Q&A: Supercharge your career opportunities with a Deakin PhD – Get your questions answered about how to set yourself up for a successful career with a PhD from Deakin. You’ll hear from a PhD graduate who is thriving in the field, as well as a current PhD candidate.
When: Sunday 15 August, 11–11.30am