Skip to navigation Skip to content
Eva Costanzo

20 June 2023

Thinking of studying overseas? Be inspired by Eva’s white winter in the Arctic!

Did you know that Deakin offers more than 120 global learning opportunities in over 30 countries? These range in length from a few weeks to a year, and you gain course credit at the same time.

One popular option is our short-term partner programs, which offer intensive global learning options to progress your degree during June/July break and Trimester 3.

Eva Summer Salonen-Costanzo is a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws student who did just that, attending Lund Winter School in Trimester 3, 2022:

Eva Costanzo‘I visited Lund and Helsinki in January 2023 during the winter. I escaped peak summer in Australia to sub-temperatures in the Arctic at opposite sides of the day, which took some time to get used to. I loved being able to rug up for school in my nice winter coat that Australian weather doesn’t get cold enough to let me use.

‘Every day before school, I would buy a cup of coffee and croissant, and walk outside to have snow fall all around me. It was a truly magical experience, especially as someone who had never seen snow before!

‘It was amazing to see how multicultural these universities are! In my program, I met students from all over the world, including South Korea, the Czech Republic and Portugal, as well as students outside the program who were already studying at Lund and Hanken.

‘The entire trip I participated in many great group activities. On one of the first nights at Lund, we went out to the local Swedish club where I met a great majority of the local students and was introduced to different Swedish party games and music.

‘When I arrived in Helsinki, the Hanken School took us to the Allas Sea Pool, where I was introduced to the concept of jumping in ice-cold water in the winter. This was a fun experience to try given I never would’ve thought to do something so extreme in the snow! Nonetheless, it was incredibly rejuvenating.

I was nervous to fly alone to a destination so far from home, but now I see how much it increased my self-confidence and awareness, and encouraged me to explore the world around me.

‘It was a life-changing experience to meet people from all over the world and see how Nordic countries approach learning as compared to Australia. Overall, I had a brilliant trip to Lund and Hanken, and encourage those who are interested to apply!’

Interested in a short-term program?

We’ll be advertising short-term programs for T3, 2023 in August/September. To receive alerts on these opportunities, just subscribe to our Expression of Interest mailing list.

Other study abroad opportunities include:

Your course structure will determine which program is most suitable for you. Various funding opportunities are available, subject to eligibility criteria. Find out more.