Skip to navigation Skip to content
Student Mitchell Cook during his fundraiser ride

24 February 2023

‘There’s truly no substitute for the rush of a good session’: student Mitchell explains how sport fuels his studies

Are you finding ways to be active in your day-to-day life? Despite our best intentions, it can be hard dedicating time to exercise in between balancing studies with work, family and social commitments. 

However, with evidence showing exercise boosts our wellbeing and cognitive function, it’s important we all aim to keep moving every day for optimal health, just like we would commit to a study routine. 

While you should strive to find an activity you enjoy, moving more doesn’t have to be a big deal. By committing to just 30 minutes of daily exercise – even incidental movements such as strolling around campus or parking a bit further away to walk the last leg to your classes – can improve your energy levels, mood, sleep quality and study efforts in noticeable ways.

How can you get moving today?

We have plenty of ways you can stay active at Deakin!

We’re also featuring stories about how our students like to keep moving over the coming weeks, so stay tuned to Deakin Life! This week we learned more about what inspired Resi student Mitchell Cook to embark on an incredible fundraising challenge, how he likes to stay active and how sport helps him focus on his studies. Mitchell is currently studying a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (Honours) at Deakin.

What are you hoping to do professionally after uni?
I look forward to working locally before helping in remote communities, implementing needed alternative energy systems and facilities to improve quality of life in these areas.

You’ve been actively involved in many sports and activities! What are these, what made you first get involved and why do you enjoy them?
I’d learnt to ski just about as soon as I could walk while living in Falls Creek, which I love doing every chance I get! From then, I’d taken to both team and individual sports. I continue to enjoy footy, basketball, ultimate frisbee, running, rock climbing, boxing, mountain biking and cycling. All group sports are incredible for meeting like-minded legends and brings a sense of belonging. I also love individual sports for the challenge to complete set goals.

Starting my day with a solid session never fails to kickstart my morning and set the tone to take on whatever the day has in store.

How do you think these activities help your physical and overall wellbeing, and do you find they help your study habits?
The drive I can find in physical activity further fuels my determination in all avenues of life. Starting my day with a solid session never fails to kickstart my morning and set the tone to take on whatever the day has in store. In making me not only physically healthier, but additionally making me mentally stronger and resilient, there is truly no substitute for the rush of a good session.

Your bike-riding fundraising efforts sound amazing! What prompted you to start this challenge and how did it go? 
My Everest Challenge was inspired by a couple of beautiful mates who had lost their battles to mental health issues. I found myself hurting from the loss of these incredible people and eager to do my part for bettering mental health services. That’s when I’d decided to ride the equivalent elevation of Everest (8848m) in one effort to raise money for the Movember Mental Health Foundation. I gave the added incentive that I would ride the equivalent of a 10,000m elevation if more than $5000 was raised. In the end, close to $12,000 was raised and I set out on the 316km ride which entailed completing the same climb 21 times and took just shy of 16.5 hours.

What’s life like living on campus? Does this influence your physical activity, and health and wellbeing in particular ways?
Living on campus provides incredible facilities and opportunities for joining fitness clubs or competitions. With the abundance of activities, there’s an amazing opportunity to meet incredible people. This gives such a great outlet for breaking up study, catching up with mates and keeping yourself mentally and physically fit.

Do you have any advice for other students who may want to get more active or involved in sports but aren’t sure where to start?
Reach out through friends or course mates to gauge what kind of opportunities there might be and how you can get moving with it. Never hesitate to ask around and have a try of everything, you’ll only regret the opportunities you don’t take.

What are you most looking forward to this year?
I’m bouncing back from an ankle operation, aiming to recover, and run a marathon throughout the year. I’m also intermitting from uni, to work with an Environmental Engineering group in North Geelong. I’ll keep at this and learn all I can until mid-year before I go to travel for the second half of the year in Europe and Asia.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Whether it’s sport or something else, find what gets you into a flow state of joy, and never compromise on making time for these things in your life.

We’re committed to your wellbeing at Deakin

Study can inherently lead to sedentary habits but it’s important you stay moving, whether as part of structured or more casual activities, to maintain your health and get the most out of your studies. Here at Deakin, we are always investigating ways we can help our students stay healthy, happy and well – take a look at our vision as part of the Deakin Student Health Promotion Plan