WLC Internships – Melanie Perrson

In 2019, I completed an internship as part of my enrolment in the MA (Writing and Literature) course at Deakin. I approached Margaret River Press, a small local publishing house about the possibility and was delighted to be taken on board. The internship was a highly valuable experience that consolidated and built upon the skills developed throughout my tertiary studies. It gave me valuable insight into the publishing industry, not only in my home city of Perth, Western Australia, but also in the broader context of publishing around Australia and in other countries. 

My internship contributed significantly to my confidence and practical skill set. Being given the opportunity to work on social media campaigns, to help organise book launches, and to proofread manuscripts were highlights of my time at MRP. I was also able to connect with many people with the same passions and interests as myself. I met another independent publisher who offered me a second internship once I had finished my first! I have remained good friends with the people I met through both internships and really value that outcome of the experience. 

Even though I decided to pursue a PhD in the immediate future rather than employment in publishing, undertaking that internship is absolutely not something I regret. I would highly recommend for anyone who has that opportunity to seek out an internship relevant to their interests and future career goals, as the connections you make and the knowledge you acquire can open up avenues you might never have considered! 

Margaret River Press: https://margaretriverpress.com/