Internship Stories: Mikaela Williams

One of the ways that Deakin students can gain industry insights and experience is through our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) programs. There are a range of internship opportunities advertised at any given time and students always come away with valuable knowledge and increased networks to draw upon throughout their study and after graduation.

Below, Master of Arts (Writing and Literature) student Mikaela Williams shares her insights from a recent internship with Express Media and Deakin University. As Mikaela has shared here, undertaking an internship can be very fruitful!

Mikaela Williams (Supplied)

For the past 6 months I have had the opportunity to work alongside Express Media and Deakin University as an intern for the Deakin University Nonfiction Prize 2019.

My duties included drafting marketing collateral, researching potential marketing avenues for the prize, and assisting the Creative Director of Express Media with prize administration and production.

In all honesty, I felt wholly unprepared when I was first offered the position.

Ultimately, the experience was incredibly rewarding on both a professional and personal level. As well as gaining basic skills in office administration, I was also introduced to the wide network of literary organisations and groups which function within Melbourne and rural Victoria. I was able to gain an appreciation for the work that non-profits do for our communities and the support which they give to young creatives all over the state. I also had various opportunities to utilize my writing skills and was able to witness the creative skill of other young writers from across the nation. 

I’ve come away from my Deakin University internship with a renewed sense of professional purpose and a greater understanding of my own creative path.

Thanks to Mikaela for so generously sharing her insights here.

For students who are keen to find out more about internship opportunities in the Faculty of Arts and Education, you can contact the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team – contact details available here. They are always happy to help!

*Featured Image (Cover) by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash