Internship Stories: Eliz Bilal

One of the ways that Deakin students can gain industry insights and experience is through our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) programs. There are a range of internship opportunities advertised at any given time and students always come away with valuable knowledge and increased networks to draw upon throughout their study and after graduation.

Below, Master of Arts (Writing and Literature) student Eliz Bilal shares her insights from a recent internship with Girl Museum. As Eliz has shared here, undertaking an internship can be very fruitful!

Eliz Bilal – Supplied

During Trimester 3 2019 I completed an online internship with a non-profit organisation in the US called Girl Museum. I first discovered this opportunity on Deakin Sync and was immediately captivated with the organisation’s mission statement, as we share a mutual passion for gender equality and female empowerment.

I wrote blogs and reviews on my favourite artists and TV shows based on empowering female protagonists. This included my write up on Lady Gaga and a review on Daria as a female lead. One of my favourite experiences throughout the internship was collaborating with my supervisor Tiffany in creating a column on influential female painters from the 20th and 21st centuries.

My internship was unconventional because it was online, however, I learnt valuable skills in communication. I was frequently speaking back and forth with my supervisors through e-mail and giving updates on the progress of my work. I learnt time-management skills to complete the tasks and meet the deadlines required, which was challenging at times because of the time difference between Australia and the US.

Coming into this internship I was well aware of my strength in creative writing. I was pushed out of my comfort zone and delved into learning new skills while brushing up on old ones. This included journalism skills and academic research that was incorporated with my blogs. I found that my confidence and writing skills have flourished. 

Not only did Girl Museum help me to solidify my future career ambitions to complete a PhD, but it  also set a platform for me in my writing career. In the future I am excited to keep volunteering with Girl Museum and taking more opportunities.

Thanks to Eliz for so generously sharing her insights here.

For students who are keen to find out more about internship opportunities in the Faculty of Arts and Education, you can contact the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team – contact details available here. They are always happy to help!

*Featured Image (Cover) by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash