Skip to navigation Skip to content
Courtnee Comer

2 October 2023

Finding uni a bit of a slog? New graduate Courtnee shares how she made it to the finish line

University is an amazing time in your life, but it’s full of ups and downs. You might start your degree full of enthusiasm and energy, but the grind of study, stress of assessments and need to juggle uni with other commitments can make it hard to keep your eyes on the prize of graduation.

If you’re feeling a bit stuck with study and could use some inspiration as the end-of-unit assessment period rolls around again, then you need to meet one of Deakin’s newest graduating students.

Courtnee Comer, who lives near Geelong, is about to don the black mortarboard and receive her law degree at Costa Hall on Thursday 5 October. We’ll be following Courtnee on our social channels as she celebrates this incredible achievement – but first she’s sharing her study wisdom and secrets for staying motivated throughout her degree.

Courtnee ComerIn 2018, when my daughter was a year old, I decided to pursue a law degree, something I’d been thinking about for a long time! Deakin’s set-up for online learning was one of the best, in terms of flexibility for part-time students/working mums and having good resources like after-hours classes. I started my degree in T1, 2019 and finished four years later, at the end of T1, 2023.

As a new student, I recommend posting on discussion boards to try to find like-minded students to form a study group with. Students who start together usually end up completing a lot of the same units at the same time, so it’s good to build a rapport and it helps to know who you work well with for group assignments. It also helps to have people you can talk to when you’re feeling overwhelmed. As a law student, there’s nothing more comforting than hearing the words, ‘I haven’t started the assignment yet either!’

Balancing uni with my two young kids and job was probably the most difficult thing for me. I studied at night and on weekends. Close to exams and assignment due dates, I would go to the Deakin Library on a Saturday or Sunday and spend the whole day studying. It wasn’t glamorous but it got the job done! I took annual leave if I had assignments piling up and needed a day or two off work to get on top of my study workload.

I learned around second year not to be afraid to ask for an extension if I was really struggling. Teaching staff were generally very understanding when I needed extra time, and that breathing room would sometimes be just what I needed to push through instead of giving up.

In terms of Deakin services, PASS (unit-specific study sessions) were an absolute gold mine for exam preparation. The UniHub job board is a great place to find opportunities. I secured an internship with ANZ’s in-house legal department in my final year via UniHub.

2020 was the most challenging year – COVID caused a lot of disruption to the way that Deakin could deliver its services and how I’d been studying. I couldn’t go to the library for quiet studying away from my toddler or rely on anyone to babysit, and there was no delineation between working and studying from home. It was unsustainable. Towards the end of 2020, some COVID restrictions lifted and I was pregnant, so I took T3 off and spent time catching up with friends and family, and took care of my health. I came back in T1, 2021 feeling ready to start fresh.

Take time off if you need to and don’t forget to take care of yourself! I finished a trimester later than planned, but that break was vital for my motivation.

The trimesters go so quickly. When things were stressful, I would look at the calendar and realise I was already halfway through a unit. Look at how long you have left and focus on the finish line.

There is always an end date: to the trimester, the unit and the whole degree. Every assignment and unit you complete gets you one step closer to graduation! When you get there, you’ll be so proud of yourself for sticking with it.

My Deakin journey in three words is: rewarding, challenging, transformative. I secured a graduate position with Rennick & Gaynor, working predominantly in my chosen area of law (property). I’m inspired every day to work hard and become the best lawyer I can possibly be.

Make sure you follow Courtnee’s graduation journey on Deakin Life Insta – be a fly-on-the-wall as she prepares for her big day on Thursday 5 October and finally receives her degree! Congratulations Courtnee.