Following an inspired experience as participants of the Deakin led Intercultural Dialogue Through Design (iDiDe) Sri Lanka study tour three architecture students from Manipal University in India spent Trimester 1 on exchange in Deakin’s School of Architecture and Built Environment third year Bachelor of Design in Architecture degree.

Kartina Ranjit, Ishan Rakshit and Abhinav Goel all spoke highly of their exchange experience and loved exploring Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney. The staff and students have developed close bonds through teaching and learning from the iDiDe study tour in Sri Lanka and from their trimester spent at Geelong’s Waterfront campus.

The students will now return to India and be part of Manipal ‘s Faculty of Architecture welcome of 15 Deakin architecture students led by Susan Ang and Michael Sharman when the Deakin iDiDe Study Tour heads to Manipal India in January 2018 to collaborate on the Anganwadi Project.

The Anganwadi Project aims to use a holistic design approach to develop a sustainable built structure for a Mother and Child Centre (Anganwadi) for non- urban communities in the Udupi district of Karnataka State India.

Student reflection:
‘Being a part of iDiDe SriLanka provided me with the opportunity to work closely with the Deakin team. It gave me an idea of how the university functioned and what the students were capable of. When I was given a chance to pursue a trimester at Deakin University, I didn’t have to think twice. I said ‘yes’. The 4 months I’ve spent here at Deakin have thoroughly refined my architectural knowledge and understanding and I have a bag full of memories to cherish.’    Ishan Rakshit

Photo: Kartina Ranjit, Ishan Rakshit and Abhinav Goel shared a slice of chocolate mud cake as a mini farewell with architecture design staff Susan Ang, Michael Sharman, and Stewart Seaton.