I was invited to give two lectures in Kuala Lumpur in October 2016.

Nur Izzati Mohd Khairan, who I believe was encouraged by other recent graduates from A+B, invited me to deliver lectures on architecture to a student group, and also a public lecture to a mixed audience. Izzati was graciously supported by the office of ZSR Architects, in particular by Zaini Mufti, and also the Malaysian Institute of Architects (PAM). Their support of this visit, and their hospitality was simply amazing. The support they mustered within the architectural fraternity in KL was certainly surprising to me, and the engagement demonstrated by both audiences was very encouraging. I gave Izzati a list of topics that I was interested to discuss, and she chose the title of the two lectures.

The first lecture, “Architecture as ways of Being – Corb, Mies, Kahn, Scarpa” was delivered at the IIUM campus to a very attentive audience of about 200 students. It was a privilege to talk to this audience for 2.5 hours with the engagement and interest they showed in this discussion of the ideas and philosophies used by these master architects. Even after 2 hours and 120 images the students were still interested to discuss the issues surrounding the work of these architects.

The second lecture, “Architecture and Current Critique” was delivered at the KLCC Gallery, again to an audience of nearly 200 people. This was ostensibly a public lecture delivered in the Gallery space of KL’s most famous and iconic twin towers – KLCC. Izzati chose this topic as she wished to put the idea, and ideal, of architectural critique into play for architects in Malaysia. It seemed from the feedback I received, and the attentiveness of the audience, that we succeeded in getting these thoughts engaged. I hope they prove to be of encouraging value to Izzati and her colleagues, as I certainly believe that architecture is in need of some good, clear, value-laden critique if it, and architects, are to strengthen their public profile and presence.

Outside of the lectures I met many members of the extensive Malaysian Deakin architectural alumni, and enjoyed many rich discussions with members of this alumni group and also visited a number associated offices in KL. The respect the alumni holds for their time at Deakin is humbling. I certainly hope I was able to do their respect justice, and strengthened their ongoing interest I architecture and the ongoing role and presence of A+B in Malaysian architecture.

Through an Australian graduate I gained an introduction to Kevin Mark Low. Izzati and I met Kevin in KL for a most engaging and lively architectural discussion, which has continued as an email discussion since my return. From this meeting Izzati gathered a core group of her Deakin colleagues and we visited one of Kevin Mark Low’s buildings, the BT Trade Centre, and spent an amazing couple of hours at this building complex discussing its ideas, its refinement, its rarity, and its instructiveness, and the accompanying photos are of our time at this fine building.

My time in KL was simply brilliant for me, and it was a great privilege for me to deliver such well-received talks to such good audiences. I have immense praise for Izzati’s organizational skill, her bravery in instigating such an event, and her interest in architecture as an important cultural undertaking. I also am very grateful to Zaini for his support of Izzati in this adventure, and for his supreme hospitality to me. I hope to be able to return the favour in some manner, and would certainly like to continue this series into the future as I feel it is important for all involved.

Professor Des Smith

Images Kevin Mark Low’s buildings, the BT Trade Centre