Australia Reads Ambassadors with Deakin connections…

Here’s a Deakin roll call of current Australia Reads Ambassadors…getting ready for Australian Reading Hour on TUESDAY 14th SEPTEMBER…

Current staff:

“When you think about what reading is and how it works, it honestly seems like magic. We look at some black ink on a white page, and from there, we can travel through other worlds, other universes, meet other people, feel real feelings. Reading harnesses the power of the human brain in a way that is really quite extraordinary. It demonstrates how powerful our minds are. Reading is an everyday magic, and I am grateful every day that I grew up in a time of mass literacy, because my life would be markedly worse without reading in it.”

“When I’m reading, it’s just the book and me. If we compare books with social media, reading helps us live on the inside rather than on the outside; it helps us live meaningfully rather than superficially. Reading makes us real.”

and alumni/PhD candidates:

Spec fic, magic and queer stuff. Award-winning author of the queer YA books Ida, Highway Bodies, and Euphoria Kids.
“To use a cliché, reading is food for the mind. It really is. It’s an opportunity to exercise the imagination, expand on your knowledge and see ideas from different perspectives to your own.”

See more:  alisonwritesthings.com

“Reading is a way for us to escape and explore. It’s how we process and understand the world around us – and the worlds we don’t know yet. Reading is freedom. Its benefits are limitless.” See more:  nicolehayesauthor.com 

“Fiction is my passion; novels are empathy-generating machines. We humans only have one life, but novels let you experience someone else’s life–someone who lived in another time or place or circumstance. It’s a miracle to me.”

See more:  www.tonijordan.com

“As a kid reading can be a way out of confusion, out of other people’s expectations, their rules and bullying. A story can make the world magical again. Reading can also be a way in as well – a way of finding out who you are, helping you understand your own darkness and ugliness, your history and how you can shape your future.”

“Reading is my favourite path into story and into thought. Story and thought have got me through the worst things in my life and have given me most of the best things in my life. Reading, more than almost anything else, gives us the resilience that will shepherd us through life.”

See more:  gillianpolack.com