Staff Profile – Mr Peter Divers

What do you do, what department/school/institute and where are you located?
I Work as the Productions Coordinator for the Deakin Motion Lab at Deakin Burwood. This job
entails supervising motion lab staff through our work on animated children’s productions, visual effects work for television commercials, virtual reality experiences and also leading the team on the creation of our newly developed virtual production pipeline we call Alchemy.

When did you start at Deakin University and what was the role?
I started at Deakin University back in 2008, working as a research assistant with Kim Vincs using motion capture to aid choreography in dance, this quickly progressed to leading the team on our first television commercial for Tooheys Extra Dry titled ‘Nocturnal Migration’ where we motion captured two deer.

Where did you study?
Deakin University Burwood, a Bachelor of Interactive Media

Three favourite films?
Inception, The Matrix, Jurassic Park

What have you done that you are most proud of?
The two moments I’m most proud of would be the motion capture work I did for ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ at Weta Digital. It was an amazing experience, converting human performance into chimp, orang utan and gorilla characters, while bringing the directors vision to life.

Also the virtual production work I did for Ridley Scott on Alien Covenant, simply designing shots with a director of Ridley Scott’s experience and talent was mind blowing.

What is your favourite hobby?
Currently working on an animated short film, and when I’m free I always try to get back to rock climbing which I’ve always loved but never seem to have enough time for.