New section – Staff Profiles

We are introducing a fun and interesting section and profiling our staff. Every week we will be promoting a new staff profile.  the staff profile includes work related questions, some fun questions and a photo. If you would like to be included please send the weekly bulletin team an email 

Our first staff profile is Prof Terry Mason

What do you do, what department/school/institute and where are you located?

My card says I am ‘Curriculum Developer’.  I have produced and delivered T1 and T2 in 2017, Deakin’s first Koorie specific Open Elective;  IND201 Aboriginal Knowledges and Experiences taking students from pre-invasion spiritual and social concepts to future matters such as treaties.

I am located in the Institute of Koorie Education but you will most often find me in the room in building C Burwood where the Aboriginal flag hangs in the window on level 4.

When did you start at Deakin University and what was the role?

I started work here late 2015 to establish the IND201 unit.  Since then, I have been involved with matters Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander across many areas of the University from academic work to advocacy and involvement in research.

Where did you study?

I have had a strong background of learning in Aboriginal Communities, unions and more formally at UTS and WSU.

Describe yourself in 3 words

Grey, grumpy, outspoken.

What book are you currently reading?

The Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe (again).

Three favourite films?

Radiance, Putuparri and the Rainmakers, Lousy Little Sixpence.

What have you done that you are most proud of?

Fought, many years ago, to have a redefinition of de facto relationships between the Tax and Social Security Departments. Been involved in the advocacy for early voluntary access to pensions and superannuation for A&TSI Peoples due to the earlier average life expectancy.  (Still working on that.) Ongoing representation for the establishment of Treaties across the country.  Having three grandkids who are really cool.