I have always tried to be more independent. Living by myself since I was 18, working in many part-time jobs and studying architecture and urban planning at the same time, collecting different feelings, knowledge and experiences. But I felt that something was missing and I still needed something to be the experience of my life that would make me see the real me and what I am capable of. So, I decided to live overseas and see what the rest of the world had for me. Thus, I subscribed to a Brazilian governmental program to study abroad, and even though I had a low proficiency in English, I knew that Australia could be the future country to call mine.

carolinamelbourne

Hello Australia!

Before my overseas studies, all I knew about Australia was kangaroos. I read many articles about many countries and I was getting more and more interested about Australia, and about how such a young country was able to develop and deliver a great level of education, technology, multicultural society and great nature views. Then, I decided to study in Australia expecting for a totally new experience, different from everything I had experienced in my life, and that was exactly what I got.

I decided to study in Australia expecting for a totally new experience, different from everything I had experienced in my life, and that was exactly what I got.

My new city – Melbourne!

Studying at Deakin made me see architecture and urban planning with new eyes. The way the teachers talked about history, art and technology showed me that there was so much more to learn. Before that, I thought that what I already knew from my university in Brazil was enough for a good professional future. But living in a city like Melbourne and getting in touch with other students from Deakin and their many different cultures made me realise that my knowledge was limited and that I had much more to learn.

Living in a city like Melbourne and getting in touch with other students from Deakin and their many different cultures made me realise that my knowledge was limited and that I had much more to learn.

When I was at the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI), the teachers acted like family for me. They cared about how being far from home was affecting my studies and my wellbeing, supported us with kind words and were always trying to bring our culture inside the classroom to share with other students, making us proud of our homeland. The subjects I took for architecture, the essays and studio projects have provided me with considerable knowledge to bring back to my country.

carolinamarina

Venturing beyond Melbourne and exploring Tasmania

Now, it has been a year and a half since I returned to Brazil. I’m still studying architecture at my home university and will get my bachelor’s degree at the end of this year. I’m currently completing traineeships at two different workplaces: an independent office and at the Federal Institute of Technology

I can say that everything that I’m doing back in Brazil has a little bit of ‘Aussie sauce”, and that going with the final phase of my university studies, I can see that all the projects I make now, I use things that I learnt at Deakin and Australia.

Reflecting on my Australian experience, I can now see how much I have grown. Despite the challenges I have experienced throughout my life at home, and overseas, I have improved myself and I thank the Oz people for this. Thanks Deakin and Australia for the great experience!