On 13 November 2017 Deakin Gender and Sexuality Studies Research Network held a symposium and launch. The establishment of the Research Network coincides with the commencement of Deakin University’s new Major in Gender and Sexuality Studies in 2018.
The symposium featured a range of speakers including:
- “Histories of doing gender and sexuality studies” panel, with Professor Louise Johnson, Professor Bob Pease and Dr Ann Vickery
- Dr Amie O’Shea and Ms Millie Olcay: “Current research in gender and sexuality studies at Deakin”
- Professor Anita Harris: “Emerging directions for gender and sexuality studies”
The day concluded with a panel discussion about the same-sex marriage survey, “Countdown to equal love?”:
- Emeritus Professor Dennis Altman (La Trobe)
- Dr Gilbert Caluya (Melbourne)
- Dr Lucy Nicholas (Swinburne)
The symposium concluded with remarks from Professor Brenda Cherednichenko, the Executive Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Education.
The symposium and network are supported by funding from the Faculty of Arts and Education, School of Communication and Creative Arts and Deakin Motion.Lab – Centre for Creative Arts Research.
Learn more about the Gender and Sexuality Studies seminar series at Deakin University.