Student laughs as she is helped

Where to get support with your studies

Are you feeling a bit anxious about assessment at university? Maybe you have a question about how to write an essay, what exactly ‘academic integrity’ means or how to reference your work.

The important thing to remember is that success at university is a long-term process of steadily working to improve your academic skills. It doesn’t happen overnight. This is why we’ve got a team of staff and students dedicated to helping you achieve your best.

We’ve got staff – Language and Learning Advisers – and students – Writing Mentors and Maths Mentors – who are available online to help you with your academic work.

There are also lots of online resources you can read or watch, including Academic Skills Guides on various important aspects of your studies.

You can also receive academic support 24 hours a day, 7 days per week from a tutor online via Smarthinking. You’ll be able to work online in real-time with tutors specialising in a range of disciplines, or you can get help with general writing and study skills. Smarthinking sessions feature an interactive whiteboard and text chat where you can discuss your work. You can also submit your assignments for written feedback – you’ll receive feedback within 24 hours.

So, don’t struggle with your assignments alone. Visit the Study Support section and the Students Helping Students section of the Current Students website, browse the resources available and make an appointment to chat with one of our friendly team members.

Commonwealth supported places – enrolment rules

For domestic students in a Commonwealth supported place or using HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP, seeking study help early is now also important in terms of your ongoing enrolment.  

If your academic level or other circumstances mean you’re unlikely to pass at least 50 percent of your units, government rules prevent you from keeping your Commonwealth supported place or accessing HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP. This is so you don’t incur ongoing fees that youll have to repay. 

These changes only apply to students who commenced their course after 1 January 2022.

If you’re finding it hard to keep up or need help with aspects of your course, please access the above resources to prevent any issues with your academic progress and enrolment. You can also talk to your Unit Chair or contact Student Central for advice. 

back to top