Research & Engagement
The project will produce a wide range of research outputs (both traditional scholarly works and non-traditional engagement). These will be listed here as they become available.
- (PREPRINT) Bower, I. S., Clark, G. M., Tucker, R., Lum, J., Mortimer, M. A., & Enticott, P. G. (2021). Measuring emotional and neurophysiological responses to the scale of the built environment. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/uzync
- Bower, I., Tucker, R., & Enticott, P. (2019). Impact of built environment design on emotion measured via neurophysiological correlates and subjective indicators: A systematic review. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 66, 101344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2019.101344
- Bower, I. (2020, September 24). Architecture with Feeling: Measuring emotional and neurophysiological responses to the built environment. In Academy of Neuroscience for Architecture Fifth International Conference: Sensing Spaces, Perceiving Places (Online).
- Bower, I., Tucker, R., Enticott, P. (2018, November 14). Effective affective design? Development of a framework for measuring neurophysiological responses to the scale of enclosed interior space. Poster presentation at the 2018 Students of Brain Research Annual Student Symposium, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne.
Guest lectures & teaching
- Bower, I. (2021, March 18). Neuroscience and Architecture: Research and Application. In Neuroarq Academy: Brazilian Academy of Neuroscience and Architecture.
- Bower, I. (2021, January 17). Architecture with Feeling: Measuring emotional and neurophysiological responses to the built environment. In NAAD Master: Neuroscience applied to architectural design, Università Iuav, Venezia and POLI.Design, Milano.
Public events & panels
- Arbib, M., Bower, I., Othon, L., & Rong, D. (2020, October 28). ANFA Conference 2020 Parallel Immersion. In Neuroarq Academy: Brazilian Academy of Neuroscience and Architecture.
- Bower, I. (2020, September 2). Brain Research Webinar and Networking Event (Online). Students of Brain Research X Youth Neuro Australia.
- Hinwood, M., Bower, I., Whiley, L., & Matthews, B. (2020, May 13). Brain Health in our Modern World. In Pint of Science Australia (Online).
- Bower, I. (2020, February 11). What is Home?, MMeets Royal College of the Arts X MPavilion, MPavilion, Queen Victoria Gardens, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Davern, M., Bower, I., Topsfield, J., Day, M., Outhred, S. (2020, February 20). Future Melbourne: What Liveability Means To You, MTalks RACV X MPavilion. MPavilion, Queen Victoria Gardens, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Fergus, A., Clarke, A., Bower, I., Cheng, L., Leslie, T. (2019, January 17). Architecture is good for you, MTalks New Architects Melbourne X MPavilion. MPavilion, Queen Victoria Gardens, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
How architecture affects human behaviour, iMotions (2020, October 27).
How close are we to understanding how buildings affect our emotion?, Acoustic Bulletin, Ecophon Saint-Gobain (2020, June 8).
Building up good feelings, Geelong Advertiser (2020, February 28).
If You Build It, They Will Feel, Deakin Disruptr (2020, February 24).
Why my childhood home is etched into my subconscious, Domain, The Age (2019, December 9).
Researchers on national stage for Falling Walls Lab Australia Final, Deakin University Newsroom (2019, October 17).
Research for feelings inside, Geelong Indy (2019, September 30).
Architecture PhD Candidate Takes Out the Faculty 3MT Competition, Deakin University Architecture + Built Environment Blog (2019, June 13).
‘Architecture with Feeling’ receives John Paul Eberhard Fellowship, Deakin University Architecture + Built Environment Blog (2018, November 20).
Fellowship to support better understanding of built environment, Deakin University Newsroom (2018, November 6).
Competing on the global stage: 2016 Mayfielder awarded American research grant, Learning Environments Australasia (2018, September 25).
- 2018 John Paul Eberhard Fellowship, The Academy of Neuroscience for Architecture (ANFA), San Diego, USA.
- 2018 Creativity and Innovation Grant, Creative Futures Pty Ltd, Geelong, Australia.
- 2020 Visualise Your Thesis (VYT) Deakin University Final Runner-Up. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.12812087.v1
- 2019 Falling Walls Lab Australian Finalist (1 of 20 early career researchers selected) and 2nd Place in Falling Walls Lab Melbourne Semi-Final.
- 2019 Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Asia-Pacific Finalist representing Deakin University after placing 1st in the University Final and Faculty Semi-Final. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYVak9dTDw