Internship Stories: Nicky Bonin

One of the ways that Deakin students can gain industry insights and experience is through our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) programs. There are a range of internship opportunities advertised at any given time and students always come away with valuable knowledge and increased networks to draw upon throughout their study and after graduation.

Below, Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing) student Nicky Bonin shares her insights from a recent internship with Well Versed Copywriting. As Nicky has shared here, undertaking an internship can be very fruitful!

Nicky Bonin (Supplied)

In Trimester 3 2019-2020, I completed an internship with Well Versed Copywriting. My main roles included blog writing and writing website copy for several different clients. Given the variety of the topics, I often had no prior knowledge of the client, their brand and the blog topic. I was required to do some research before I begin writing. Initially, I was overwhelmed with the workload and more specifically, the deadlines. 

Submitting my first piece was daunting. I put a lot of pressure and expectations on myself to write engaging copy, and I felt sometimes I wasn’t always hitting the mark. I think there is where most of my personal development occurred. I lacked belief in myself from the get-go, but I just kept pushing through, punching keys and finishing each task to the deadlines. Sometimes only a few minutes before. Stressful, I know! 

My commitment to the internship proved my capabilities to both my supervisors and also to myself. This really was a positive experience. My supervisors called me multiple times to discuss my progress and approach to each job, and I truly appreciated their feedback. 

Having to work remotely meant that I relied heavily on my self-management skills. My ideas for each task needed to be articulated through writing creatively and imaginatively while adhering to the requirements of each job. Before sending my drafts through, I had to evaluate and monitor my work and proof and edit it accordingly. This honestly tested my attention to detail at times but also showcased my ability to create and write. 

Overall the experience was fantastic for my creative writing and really helped me develop a clear writing voice. I also now know how to write a blog within 20-30 minutes, which is pretty neat. 

You can check out one of my published works here: http://wellversed.com.au/how-storytelling-affects-your-buying-brain/ 

Thanks to Nicky for so generously sharing her insights here.

For students who are keen to find out more about internship opportunities in the Faculty of Arts and Education, you can contact the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team – contact details available here. They are always happy to help!

*Featured Image (Cover) by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash