- Dr Gráinne Cleary leads citizen science projects: The Great Koala Count, Who’s Living on MY Land and The Australian Bird Feeding and Watering Study, with over 7,000 citizen scientists registered nationally.
ENGINEERING, MATERIALS, IT
- Prof Abbas Kouzani designs and develops sensors, instruments, wireless devices, low-power and miniaturised embedded systems, energy harvesters, control algorithms, data communication protocols, mesh networks.
- Prof Yong Xiang developed MPower emergency lighting management using autonomous network system, now being installed by organisations across the country. He partnered with Parks Victoria to apply Fog computing to improve visitor engagement, and applied machine learning to automate wildlife identification using camera traps.
- Prof Robin Doss co-leads the Internet of Things (IoT) research cluster at Deakin and his expertise includes ambient intelligence, context awareness and decision making, autoID and data capture technologies, autonomous networking and communication.
- Prof Seng Loke is a member of the virtual fencing project with Agersens. He is an expert in Fog and edge computing, complex event processing, workflows and platforms for crowdsourcing and citizen science.
- Prof Dinh Phung is a leading researcher at the forefront of theoretical and applied machine learning research with a view to make lasting contributions to real-world problems.
- Prof Lingxue Kong is an expert in microfluidics for biological sampling, porous material for separation and sampling, and miniature power supply.
- Prof Rajesh Vasa leads innovation efforts at the Deakin Software and Technology Innovation Lab and is passionate about solving challenging problems with high impact.
- Dr Longxiang Gao is an expert in Fog/edge computing, mobile social networks, data processing and network security for solving real-world problems.
- A/Prof Tim Wilkin co-leads the Artificial & Computational Intelligence group within the AI & Data Analytics research cluster at Deakin, and is an expert on robust image and signal processing and analytics, embedded AI and CI, with applications in robotics and smart devices.
- Dr Thanh Nguyen is an expert in object detection and recognition and develops robust algorithms for image analysis that work in real-time.
- Dr Fenghua Mary is a senior research fellow with expertise in membrane characterization.
- Prof Jemal Abawajy is an expert in combinatorial optimization problems with emphases on areas such as big data analytics, smart remote monitoring and critical infrastructure resource management.
- Dr Thuong Hoang has research expertise in designing, implementing, and evaluating interactive systems that leverage emerging virtual and augmented reality infrastructures and technologies, especially in the area of public spaces, exhibitions, education and health.
ARTS AND EDUCATION
- Dr Toija Cinque examined the Social Media impact of an Arts Centre Melbourne event, demonstrating the capacity of a brand to attract a greater share of the highly-competitive international market. Her expertise includes social media and data analytics, critical thinking, and pre- and post-focus group testing.
- Prof Matthew Allen is Head of School, Communication and Creative Arts and researches the social consequences and cultural meanings of the Internet and related technologies.
- Prof Sean Redmond co-convenes the interdisciplinary “Eye Tracking the Moving Image” research group, applying eye-tracking technology to evaluate how people interact with their environment. He is an expert in data analytics and augmented and virtual reality capabilities.
- Dr Justin Lawson is a lecturer with an interest in eco-health, greening urban space, environmental health and augmented reality.
- Prof Catherine Bennett is an epidemiologist who has specialized in infectious diseases and surveillance, and is developing surveillance systems at the national level.
- Dr Rebecca Patrick is public health trained and specialises in research on the co-benefits of collaborative actions that simultaneously promote human health and health of the environment. Her current focus is on the design of evaluation indicators that both measures change and promotes community engagement with sustainability issues.
BUSINESS AND LAW
- A/Prof Helen Scarborough has expertise in environmental economics. She has been involved in research estimating the value of voluntary labour contributions of the community in donating their time.
- Dr. Shuddha Rafiq is an applied economist specializing in a wide range of empirical models to deal with different time series, cross sectional, panel and natural experimental settings to study energy, environment and ecology.
ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
- A/Prof Daniel Ierodiaconou specialises in interdisciplinary approaches using geospatial datasets for environmental and ecological applications in terrestrial and marine environments.
- A/Prof Euan Ritchie is a science communicator who focuses on understanding the ecology, conservation and management of Australian mammals. He also assesses the importance of predators in structuring and maintaining ecosystems.
- Prof Don Driscoll uses a range of approaches including natural and manipulative experiments, and the application of population genetic techniques to solve conservation issues. He focuses on understanding how species use whole landscapes.
- Prof John Arnould is an expert in wildlife monitoring. His research mostly focuses on understanding the ecology of marine predators, the anthropogenic factors influencing them, and their interactions with their environment.
- Prof Marcel Klaassen is an Alfred Deakin Professor who developed broad research interests, including bird migration, nutritional ecology and diseases.
- Prof Rosanne Guijt has an interest in bringing laboratory techniques into the field for on-site analysis, ranging from small, inorganic ions (like phosphates and nitrates) to DNA and RNA. She identifies technology solutions at the interface of health and life sciences, chemistry and engineering.
- A/Prof Mike Weston avidly applies new technologies to wildlife conservation, and also assesses the unstudied potential impacts of those technologies (e.g. drones) to the wildlife he studies.