The Student Peer Trainer Program- Queensland University of Technology

The Student Peer Trainer Program (SPTP) at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT), provides an opportunity for students and staff to partner in the design and facilitation of training workshops for commencing peer leaders. Student Peer Trainers are highly trained and experienced, volunteer peer leaders who draw on their own learning and peer leading experiences to provide authenticity and relevance to the training and professional learning of their peers.

For the first time in 2018, in partnership with its Academy for Learning and Teaching (QALT), student peer trainers were provided the opportunity to work towards the internationally recognised Associate Fellowship- Higher Education Academy (AFHEA) and we are delighted that already, two students Mythreyi Velmurugan and Benjamin Lewis, have been successfully admitted to the Academy. We have redesigned the program, encouraging our peer trainers from the outset, to think about their teaching philosophies and incorporate the practices they believe will ensure productive learning happens, in their facilitation sessions with commencing peer leaders.

“For me, the most beneficial outcome of submitting my application for an Associate Fellowship with the Higher Education Academy was the opportunity to reflect on my facilitation experiences. I feel that the process I went through in developing the reflective essays and teaching philosophy, enabled me to be more self-aware of how I facilitate learning.”- Student Peer Trainer 2018

Photograph- L-R: Dr Ian Davis SFHEA (QALT); Mythreyi Velmurugan AFHEA-Student Peer Trainer; Jennifer Tredinnick- Coordinator-Peer Leader Support; Benjamin Lewis AFHEA- Student Peer Trainer

For more information please contact [email protected]