Connection in a Time of Disconnection

As the Covid-19 pandemic struck, universities locked down and swiftly moved programs online. Institutions were forced to rethink how to continue supporting students effectively as well as remotely. The Study Buddi peer support program adeptly swapped face-to-face library drop-ins to online delivery via a collaborate link. The team of 22 student leaders upskilled their technology talents and learned how to use breakout rooms, screen sharing, and interactive whiteboards. Because the Study Buddies program shifted from geographic campus locations to online delivery, there were more team members to extend online service capacity to six hours a day, four days per week. The drop-in collaborate link provided all students with a point of connection in a time of disconnection.

Two key messages arose from twelve weeks of online academic peer support: that connection was more important than ever and that Study Buddies felt deep satisfaction from helping students in need. Study Buddies were able to offer assistance through their own experience as students and could recognise the anxiety of peers. Sam, a Podiatry and Pedorthics major on the team confirmed, “I was able to identify with the student’s needs and they appreciated that I understood their stress levels.” Another student dropped in with IT issues and had no phone service so chat was the only communication channel. Since the student had high anxiety, Sam realised it was important to keep engaged until he was able to get his tech issue sorted. She contacted the Tech Desk and waited with him until his problem was sorted. She said, “This helped him feel a sense of connection with me and that I was going to guide him through the problem.” The general team consensus was that students left the drop-in sessions feeling less overwhelmed and more empowered.

Although the usual drop-in time is 15 minutes, one student dropped in for 80 minutes because she really needed to talk to someone. Ella, a Bachelor of Arts team member said, “I was able to draw on my experience as a student to help break down the assignment into more manageable tasks. The student was having difficulty developing a thesis for an essay. I told her to revisit the topic she found most interesting and to look at the sources referenced and let that inform her thesis rather than the other way around. She seemed overwhelmed by the task and I feel I helped her make it seem a bit less daunting.”

“Helping students has always been one of my interests as I was supported by my fellow friends when I first started uni, and I feel it’s my time to pay it forward. Moving online has increased my ability to help more people out and that too from all campuses around Australia now”.
Arshdeep Singh, Study Buddi at  Southern Cross University

The Study Buddi team reflected on the satisfaction they felt from helping other students. The support might be finding their way through assignments or pointing toward online resources or just sharing student experience. Christie, a Bachelor of Forestry Science Management major, described a “great conversation with a student about the assignment terminology” and believed that she really helped that student understand what the assignment was asking by turning the words into her own and using examples. Another Study Buddi was able to offer advice on external placements and what to study to prepare for the next session. Other team members agreed that it was satisfying to help students find their way through assessments and resources, especially those who are just starting their degree.

In addition to helping students connect and disarm apprehension, the Study Buddi student leaders also noted changes in their own approach. Rachel, a Speech Pathology major, noticed her “questioning and problem-solving style with students has evolved. I believe previously (face-to-face), I may have been a bit quick to point them in the right direction rather than ‘walking with them’ and helping them find the answers.” Janice, a Bachelor of Social Welfare team member valued for her second language background and ability to understand international student perspectives, summed up by saying, “Study Buddi is like a bridge, connecting students from various shores to reach their destinations. I am very happy and appreciate that I am one of the bridges.”  

The Study Buddi team will continue providing virtual academic peer support in the next semester to boost connection, confidence and student satisfaction in the learning experience at Southern Cross University.

By S. Ashton-Hay, J. Hsu, S. Timmis, E. Hegh, C. Magarry, & R. Brady-Jones, Learning Experience Team, Southern Cross University