Gippsland school leads the way by prioritising Indigenous studies, taught by Gunai/Kurnai Woman.

Bruthen Primary School is punching above its weight when it comes to Indigenous studies. The school’s 40 odd students attend weekly classes, learning Gunai/Kurnai language, culture and history. Having a Gunai/Kurnai woman to teach Indigenous culture is really important to the school. They say Indigenous teachers are hard to find.

NIKERI Institute Bachelor of Education (Primary) graduate Nicole Hood says she was originally scared about what the other parents would think about her teaching their children. “When I first completed my teaching degree I was quite nervous about coming into school, just because back then there weren’t any Koori teachers. I was concerned parents might take their kids out of the school because they didn’t like Indigenous people. But I’ve been so well received by the parents in the Bruthen community.”

There are 8 Indigenous kids at Bruthen Primary, and Principal Michelle Young says she’s noticed a boost in their confidence since the course was introduced. “They’re all very proud that other people wanted to know about their culture. They stood taller, and shared stories about their families.”

All the kids seem to love the class, especially when they are allowed to sing songs in Gunai/Kurnai language, and go on field trips to sacred Indigenous sites. 7-year-old Sai was eager to tell us how much fun he has in class. “It makes my heart really… it makes me feel really nice and like I’m in the bestest place. It’s exciting to learn a language!”

Originally published by ABC Gippsland 

Want to help transform our children’s future? The Bachelor of Education at Deakin gives you practical training as a teacher with the flexibility to maintain your own work and family commitments. Discover how to apply today.