My name is Leahna Vandenheuvel, I am a proud Aboriginal woman from Adelaide. I am currently in my 4th and final year of the Bachelor of Primary Education degree. I chose to become a primary education teacher because I enjoy working with children and creating opportunities for them to grow.

After high school and before I returned to study, I worked in various fields from administration to community services — but I always came back to education. I remember as a teenager I was watching Freedom Writers, and there was a moment in the movie that made me think to myself, ‘I want to do that, I want to change the lives of our younger generation and build a better future for them’.

My grandmother was studying social work at IKE (now NIKERI Institute) and said to me: ‘if I can do it Leahna, what is stopping you?’

‘Juggling work, study and life is something that I try to ensure I am doing.’

I looked into the program and knew instantly it was what I wanted. I liked the intensives as it allowed me to continue working full time, but at the same time gave me the chance to dedicate blocks of time to study without distractions. I also loved the idea of students coming from all over Australia to meet and study — I love getting to know new people and every time you come to Deakin you are getting to know someone new.

While it’s great that I can continue working while studying, I have to be conscious that I am allowing myself time to chill out and relax. Juggling work, study and life is something that I try to ensure I am doing, whether it’s going out and seeing friends or catching up on the latest Real Housewives episode; I do my best not to become overwhelmed by my timetables.

The best parts about studying at NIKERI are the relationships you build. You make your own NIKERI family with your group, you support each other not just through studies but life in general. You cheer on the HDs, new babies or personal successes. You also have a support network around you when you’re away from home or need a kick up the backside when struggling with an assignment. Your lecturers are supportive and understanding; they know it is difficult to leave home and come to Deakin to study. They make sure they are accommodating and flexible but also give you some tough love when you need it.

The biggest challenge in studying for me has been time management. I need to be more organised with allocating time after work to fit in study. I have reduced my days to four days a week this year, purposely so I can focus on my studies one day a week minimum.

‘I want to change the perception of Aboriginal education.’

Once I finish my degree, I hope to gain full time employment as a teacher for a few years. My ultimate career goal is to work my way up to leadership. I want to change the perception of Aboriginal education and I want to incorporate Aboriginal studies in the school curriculum — not just one term every two years, but a daily incorporation of cultural perspectives, where all students embrace our culture and it becomes embedded within our national culture.

Want to help transform our children’s future? The Bachelor of Education at NIKERI gives you practical training as a teacher with the flexibility to maintain your own work and family commitments. Discover how to apply today.