Our lovely Kitjarra Residences chef Tania saw the empty gardens beds at the back of the Kitjarra Kitchen as the perfect location for an edible garden. A short time after commencing in the chef position, Tania, our Kitjarra Coordinator Dale and the Manager of Grounds at Deakin met to discuss the possibility. Tania compiled a list of native edible plants she wanted to source and by June 2023 the garden was planted. 

Tania says she loves using the plants in Kitjarra recipes and also tending to the garden itself.

“I have had a passion for gardening for a while and I love watching them grow and flourish, I have especially loved growing & learning about the health benefits of these native plants.”

“I have been using some of these plants in catering functions, but my aim is to use them in my cooking on a weekly basis once they mature and the yield is higher for the residential students. I will keep expanding the garden and try to source some different bush tucker plants that will grow in our environment as a lot of the bush tucker plants are from tropical areas or they live in very dry arid conditions.”