Set the stage for your dream

It has been a whirlwind experience embarking on my postgraduate studies in sport management at Deakin University. Back in China, I majored in Language (English) for my undergraduate studies. After I graduated, I spoke with the instructor at an agency who praised Deakin for its high-profile sport management teaching team and resources. It was very different from my bachelor, but I was interested.  It was also encouraging news that there was no entry barrier for students like me who have no related studying background. After jumping onto the website for further information about Deakin, I learnt that the university focuses on practical learning and hands-on experience, and I made up the decision to further my studies at Deakin University.

Filming student profile video at Deakin

Studying Master of Business (Sport Management) at Deakin soon proved to be the happiest possible scenario for me. Our teaching team consists of lecturers and unit chairs who are currently working in the industry at respected sports organisations in Melbourne. By allocating units into Management, Marketing, and Finance and Law, students receive the full complete education for sport business. We would have guest speakers from Cricket Australia, Geelong Cats and Netball Australia to give us in-depth insights into the sport organisation behaviours, strategic management and athlete management. The priorities of the teaching team are to engage and impact through collaborations in the class and activity-based seminars, to get us embedded in the sport industry.

Cheering moment with the coach at Riversdale Golf Club

Impressively, employment forums and expos are held annually either by our faculty or DeakinTALENT. I was very happy to make connections with Netball Australia, AFL and Deakin Boomers in March because of Deakin’s Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) programs.

After learning about the sport industry in the classroom, I felt that it was time to stretch out and get hands-on experience. This is what drove me to volunteer at world-class sporting events in Melbourne. It wasn’t until I was involved with the 2018 Gymnastics Australia Championship volunteer team, where I sold programs within the ground floor and in-field areas, that I felt everything connect together. I could see the spirit of competition and the calmness on the junior players’ faces before the big moments really touched me.

My first ‘on-field practice’ at a big sport event.

Now I am a member of the volunteer team for the Collingwood Magpies, a popular Australian Football League (AFL) club. I feel glad and glorious to take on this six-month volunteering position. My role is to assist in coordinating ticket packages, hospitality services and logistics for interstate players, as well as checking accreditations to ensure the venue was only accessible to accredited individuals. After viewing the sensational matches and powerful performances from the top players, I was deeply impressed by the power of sports in Australia’s super-inclusive sporting environment. To see all the departments strive for inclusion in different areas, regardless of ethnicity, religion, gender and social class, it opened my eyes that sport is a community-driven push to achieve greatness in ourselves and in society. Sport is more than just iconic moments, it is a passionate love to unite people and change a life.

Life at Deakin University as an international student so far has left me with promising thoughts about my future career. With various networking and enriching experiences, I will carry on my dream and make it come true as a qualified sport manager!

For further information about studying at Deakin and courses that relate to Sport, visit our Sport page.