Finding new solutions to protect the environment and our future

Environmental engineering is a very important field of study in this word today. The environment is robust but also very fragile – and human-induced stresses are having an impact. Environmental issues are global issues, and it is in our hands to take care sustainably for future generations. This, to me, is very important. That is why I chose to do a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering at Deakin University.

The management of our natural resources is crucial for our sustainable survival, especially with the growing population. Within years at this rate of consumption, we will have run out of everything and I feel it is our responsibility to take care of our home, Earth. The environmental engineering field will aid in finding new solutions as we deal with the impact of climate change on the environment and our livelihoods.

Environmental engineering is a challenging and exciting field of study, where models provided by science are used combined with innovative thinking to solve problems and create new designs that benefit humanity. I believe this stream of engineering applies principles to protect human health and infrastructure from environmental dangers, and protect environments both local and global from natural and human treats. This includes control of waste, improving environmental quality and water management.  

Deakin University seems to connect more with their students. It offers a lot of flexibility to study such as allowing to take specific units over Trimester 3 and offers some units for online study, which is super useful as you can perhaps get a part-time job whilst managing your studies.

I love the student atmosphere at Deakin, as everyone is so nice to one another and so it makes me feel free and as though I can be myself. It is such an encouraging and friendly environment, which allows me to concentrate on my academics and extra-curriculars. The social aspect of Deakin University is a big hit and it goes to show the how university ethos is carried throughout the students and staff. 

The teaching facilities are in great condition and are useful to help me put my understanding of the subject theory into application. The library is a fantastic place to study as it is split into separate areas varying between quiet zones and group study. I love how there is always a book I can use when I am stuck on something and the online library and databases are super resourceful and are the reason I managed to survive through my assessments.

The CADET Engineering building has fantastic resources and has a very encouraging aspect to it. We have all the equipment we need to practice skills like testing waste management, water treatment and pollution. I have had practical experience of soil analysis, air and water quality testing by using a range of methods and was able to gain deeper understanding of appropriate assessment methods for characterizing air, soil and microbial samples including characteristics which indicate contamination and other engineering problems like corrosion and health risks to humans.  

Once I complete my degree, I have a lot of options. I am hoping to find a job with an engineering firm, land developer, government agency or maybe a consulting firm. This degree is preparing me for a career that will address global issues such as climate change, environmental sustainability, waste disposal, recycling, public health and air and water pollution.  

I would recommend studying environmental engineering at Deakin University, as from day one you begin to grasp an idea of what your future career will hold.  

For further information about studying at Deakin and courses that relate to Engineering, visit our Engineering page.