Success is a journey not a destination

Hi, my name is Zain and I studied Master of Business Analytics at Deakin University.

I love telling stories with data and being able to interpret it to help bring that data to life. Prior to studying business analytics at Deakin, I did my bachelors in computer science. I opted to study business analytics because I enjoyed the challenge of turning seemingly meaningless data into recommendations to help a company improve its product, services, or experiences. This can help a business grow or get more clients.

There are a couple reasons that led to me deciding to study at Deakin. The main reason was that Deakin’s Business Analytics course is extremely practical. You get hands-on experience on a majority of the pivotal analytics softwares, which was really important to me. The classes are also interactive and engaging. I particularly enjoyed the Predictive Analytics course because it was well designed and we were given a real dataset to crunch the numbers and generate useful insights.

During a presentation at Agersens where I work as a Data Analyst.

By studying business analytics, one can work as a Data Analyst, Business Analyst, Analyst Programmer…etc. I am currently working as a Data Analyst at Agersens (an AgTech company). Deakin’s emphasis on practical learning really helped to prepare me for the workforce. Bookish knowledge is important but practical knowledge is the secret which lands you a job and Deakin was the best at it. We were given real time datasets and were allowed to use any programming language we wanted. We were taught R/Python for data analytics, PowerBI, IBM Watson and QuickSight for Visualizations and SAS/SPSS for cleaning and preparation of data.

Teaching SIT112 Data Science Concepts at Deakin University Melbourne Campus

I am also working as a Visiting Lecturer at Deakin University teaching Data Science Concepts. Since business analytics is a super-set of data science, I was extensively familiar with languages like Python/R and developing algorithms and that’s why I was able to teach data science concepts despite studying business analytics. It’s been an absolute pleasure to teach at the same institution from where I’ve just graduated.

For those who are wondering what the difference is between business analytics and data science, business analytics is the use of statistical concepts to extract insights from business data and for the efficient decision-making using languages like Python/R and developing algorithms. Data Science, on the other hand, is the interdisciplinary field of data inference, algorithm building, and systems to gain insights from data. Data science is more academic and it needs a sound knowledge of mathematics.

I chose to study Master of Business Analytics because it is a mixture of both technicality and business. With business analytics, you develop complex algorithms, generate insights and it is a platform between IT and business stakeholders.

Surfing at Gold Coast

Deakin is extremely accommodating for international students. The university is highly ranked in student satisfaction and rightly so. In my experience, Deakin provided me with mentoring sessions that helped me with settling into my new environment. Moreover, once I wanted to change one of my units in my third trimester and International Student Advisors (ISAs) went out of the way to help me out.

I was the president of Deakin Multicultural Club as well. The purpose of this club is to promote awareness, acceptance and appreciation of diverse cultures. Being the president of Deakin Multicultural Club, I arranged a Welcome Party and Cultural night for the members of the club.

As far as the extra-curricular activities are concerned, I love water sports by a long shot. I recently visited Gold Coast and did snorkeling, kayaking and surfing. I would recommend every one of you to visit Gold Coast. It’s famed for its long sandy beaches, surfing spots and elaborate system of inland canals and waterways.

For further information about studying at Deakin and courses that relate to Data and Analytics, visit our Data and Analytics page.