Learning to be a better teacher

My name is Felizarda Maria Chimunto. I am from Mozambique. I came to Melbourne in January 2018 to study a Master of Education at Deakin University.

Before coming to Australia, I was working as a teacher in Mozambique. I was, however, looking for an opportunity to learn more about education so that I could improve my understanding of the industry and help the students I teach to become better learners. I was awarded the Australia Awards Scholarship, and I chose to study the Master of Education at Deakin. This degree offers me more tools and knowledge to build the skills that I need for my personal development as an educator.

As my country is facing many challenges in education, after I finish my course I want to be a part of finding solutions to these problems. The knowledge that I am developing in areas such as inclusive education, curriculum, and assessment will help me in achieving this goal. And, I will be able to pass on what I have learnt to other teachers so that they can also improve the way that we teach in our schools.

When I came to Melbourne, the first experience I had was to study at DUELI (Deakin University English Language Institute) before I started my degree. There I volunteered for the DUELI Leadership Program, where I now work today as a leader. In this leadership program, I have been able to develop my communication skills and also improve my English.

Volunteering through the DUELI Leadership Program

Deakin offers students many opportunities to develop the skills needed to progress your career. It is also a place where you can make friends for life. The friends I have met here come from many different countries. From them I am learning about cultural diversity and this is helping me to understand and respect differences. We have wonderful time studying and travelling together.

Exploring Sydney with friends

The experiences I have had at Deakin have opened my mind and are changing the way I think and act for the better. If you are looking for a place where you can study and build your career, I recommend Deakin University. At Deakin you will find all the support you need and you will achieve great personal development.

For further information about studying at Deakin and courses that relate to Education and Teaching visit our Education and Teaching page.