Exploring Creative Arts at Deakin

“We’ll be landing in 15 minutes”, I heard as I woke up to the announcement. As I looked out the window, the first rays of the sunrise hit the horizon and slowly dissolved into the sky in a warm palette. Thinking about the unknown that was waiting for me, I started packing up my bag while a strange feeling hovered around. I was as much excited as I was clueless about what the city was going to be like.

Exploring the city of Melbourne

Exploring the city of Melbourne

The first week in Melbourne was all about exploring places, getting familiar with travel routes and meeting new people. The culturally mixed city welcomed me with wide arms, as I explored alleys painted with murals that I could stare at for hours, art galleries where I could spend an entire day, historical monuments, the calming beaches and did the most touristic things one would do.

The following week I was excited to attend my first class of my Master of Creative Arts degree at Deakin University. As my classes commenced, I made new friends from different parts of the world and met wonderful professors who helped me get along. To sit in a class with people who love art and discuss art all day is something I’ve always wanted. While I was pursuing my Bachelor degree, courses were more focused on the technicality, learning new software and skills, which is important in its own way. But, to understand how an idea is developed from a mere flash of imagination to its manifestation; the process, is how an artist can develop, this has certainly helped me to grow.

Walking through Deakin campus

Walking through Deakin campus

My first trimester at Deakin has been an exciting exploration of art in Melbourne and artists around the world. Moreover, I got an opportunity to engage with artists from different cultures, which has helped me gain a wider perspective and a more definite answer to who I am as an artist. As part of my coursework last trimester, I created a video on an idea that came up when I was laying down on a park watching the clouds. I began contemplating how clouds just change shape and disappear with ease; changing its forms at ease, and this led me to contemplate on the formlessness of all things around us, which as a matter of fact, is decaying. Later, I discussed with my professor on how to further dive into that idea and find a medium of expression. I had minimal equipment, so I contacted the university to provide me with equipment such as camera stands, lights, white background drop sheet, and studio space at the University. This made it easier to produce the video.

Exploring the Art Gallery at Deakin

Exploring the Art Gallery at Deakin

Being a multimedia graduate, I am familiar with the aspects of the creative media industry such as animation, designing, video, sound, photography, and web. The Master of Creative Arts at Deakin has been guiding me to incorporate these different forms of expressions into finding my voice as an artist.  No one can teach you how to create Art, because it comes from you. It is the process of creating that is essential, and the professors at Deakin will guide you towards finding your own process, and the entire faculty at Deakin helps you throughout.

For further information about studying at Deakin and courses that relate to Creative Arts visit our Creative Arts page.