Studying at Deakin is one of my most rewarding achievements

What made you choose to study a Deakin Master of Nutrition and Population Health?

I recall the days after my undergraduate degree, when I was exploring subjects for my masters degree. During that process, my sister told me about Nutrition Rehabilitation Home – this organization was rehabilitating malnourished children on the way to healthy life. I volunteered to learn more about the rehabilitation process for malnutrition and the importance of balanced and nutrient dense food in enhancing maternal and child health. At this point I determined to develop my career as a nutritionist.

Nutrition is a much-needed subject in Nepal, but opportunities to study and gain employment in this area are limited. I gained some experience working with organizations as a Nutrition Officer – however this was limited to child and maternal health only.

Therefore, I started to seek an advanced degree in nutrition, to enhance my knowledge and become a skilful nutritionist. My aim is to serve people in need with nutritional education, diet management, and grassroots-level interventions. My vision matched with the subjects included in the Deakin University Master of Nutrition and Population Health – so I decided to apply.

What are the major differences between studying in your home country and in Australia?

As Nepal is developing country, our universities solely depend upon the knowledge of a lecturer and professor. We still lack in digital literacy. Here, experiential studies with various assignment tasks have helped me in making arguments, critical analysis and broadened my capacity applying theoretical knowledge into practice. Moreover, in case of assignments, the positive feedback that we get is helping me improve my academic and scientific writing. The seminars here in much more interactive and not focused on the study materials only.

What has your experience at Deakin been like?

I have found the digital literacy at Deakin to be very much impressive. As we have seminars and online tutorials (recordings) posted online, it is easily assessable from anywhere you are in. The library is the other facility that has really fascinated me. All the required and updated textbooks, and the number of books and online resources available is helping us to update ourselves.

Likewise, Deakin’s other facilities such as IT support, gym, bookshop, DUSA, various cafeterias, and the community bank makes the environment of the University ingenious – it is great to study in an environment like this.

What career do you hope to have once you graduate?

I hope to be working as a nutritionist after my graduation. I believe studying at Deakin, a University that is highly renowned in nutrition, is one of my most rewarding achievements. Furthermore, the international network with nutritional scientists, researchers and lecturers has made me more enthusiastic and has allowed me to explore the opportunities back in my country. I also see myself working as a lecturer/professor/trainer at home in Nepal, helping to create more human resources working in the field of nutrition.

Do you have any tips for other international students who are thinking of studying in Australia, and those wanting to study the same degree as you? 

Australia, especially Melbourne, has been great to me. As an Australia Awards recipient, it has been a great experience to study here and get the international network. Deakin is counted as one of the best universities worldwide for nutrition. The faculty members are experienced, skilful and expertise in their respective field area and studying with these faculty is making you one of the skilful persons that you wish for. I would like to recommend Deakin University with a big smile to the students wishing to enhance their skills for themselves.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page.