The student becomes the teacher

The student becomes the teacher

I am Chika and I am studying Master of Teaching (Secondary) at Deakin. My degree is designed for people who would like to be a secondary teacher in Australia and in other countries.

Having a clear goal is one of the most important qualities for me to pursue my future career. After working full-time for three years, I realised teaching would be the job I would like to have. Having said that, studying for a degree is not an easy task. I am very honoured that I have peers who have experienced the hardship of completing a degree and yet are very passionate about language education. They are one of the biggest reasons I am still studying for the Master of Teaching.

Spending time outside of class with my peers

I undertook a placement at a government school in Melbourne in the first year of my study. It was a great opportunity to understand the Australian secondary educational system which I never experienced as a student. Because I wanted to be ready for my placement, I took part in volunteer works in a private school, and at a Saturday school where the students maintain their community language skills. I will have another five-week placement before completing my degree and I hope I will reinforce my strengths and improve my weaknesses through a real-life context. These experiences have definitely enabled me to have an insight into what I can expect to do as a teacher.

I also am currently working for Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI) as a DUELI Leader. My job is to organise events for the DUELI students and assist them to make their study the best possible experience of their life. Through the DUELI Leadership and Internship Program, I have met many inspiring workmates who are from different backgrounds and I have gained confidence in working as a professional in Australia.

Fundraising with my DUELI workmates

Fundraising with my DUELI workmates

Once I complete my degree I see myself working as a secondary school teacher, teaching Japanese and English as an additional language. It is more than likely that I will visit Queensland after completing my degree because I have a family member up there to support me.