My passion for supporting my peers and the local community

Xin Chao, my name is Daniel and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) at Deakin University, majoring in Accounting at the Faculty of Business and Law.

I completed a Bachelor of Commerce with Distinction in 2017. After this I received the recommendation from my professors to continue for one year of Honours at the Department of Accounting, to learn more about research as well as specialised accounting knowledge, especially in the field of auditing and corporate governance.

2018 VIEA Winner.

2018 VIEA Winner.

Despite the heavy contents and the tight researching schedule, the course equipped my professional development with practical data analytic skills and critical thinking abilities. As a result, at the end of the first trimester, I am not only able to achieve the 2018 IPA student scholarship as one of the top 100 accounting students at Deakin University, I have also been entrusted to join the Board of Directors at the Blackburn South Community Branch of Bendigo Bank.

As a Non-Executive Director of the bank, I have been nominated to attend multiple professional development events including the State Conference (June 2018) and the National Conference (Sep 2018). With a strong background of risk management from my Honours degree, I was appointed to become a Corporate Governance and HR Committee member, to assess and review company policies. In addition, I also joined the Community Engagement Committee to represent the Board in attending various community events and voting to allocate community funding of more than $70,000.

Community Event - Blackburn South Community Branch

Community Event – Blackburn South Community Branch

Despite the tight schedule between work and studies, I have also managed to participate in various activities on campus. These include being a Student Mentor at the Faculty of Business and Law, organising multicultural festivals with Student Life and Deakin University English Language Institution (DUELI). Therefore, with a keen interest in engaging with the community and helping peers to have a better transition into university life, I am honored to receive the Vice Chancellor’s Medal for Outstanding Contribution to University Life and the Student Helping Student Awards in two years continuously.

Given my passion for making positive changes in the local community where I lived, I was nominated by my coordinator to apply for the 2018 Victorian International Education Awards. With more than 250 applications from across Victoria, the awards are designed to look for international students who excel in three criteria: academic performance, professional development and community engagement. Hence, with the support from friends, mentors and colleagues, I was able to win the competition and become the Victorian International Student of the Year in the Higher Education category.

With fellow leaders in the DUELI Leadership and Internship Program

This achievement has taught me about the importance of continual professional development, and the need for international students to have adequate opportunities to do so. It is also a recognition of the joint efforts between my professors and mentors at Deakin University, as well as the Board members at the Blackburn South Community Branch of Bendigo Bank. With my current knowledge and experience acquired from Deakin, I am confident to become a global citizen and advance my career anywhere in the world.