Deakin: A Place Where Dreams Begin

Ni Hao, I’m Molin and I’m from China. I’m in my final year studying a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Event Management. It’s always my dream to be an Event Manager, I have participated in many concerts, festivals and shows that impressed me and I enjoyed a lot – I hope one day I can organise events that create precious memories and happy moments in people’s life with my own ability as well. Currently, event management is not a popular major in my own country, but I found Deakin provides the opportunity to gain professional knowledge with practical skills in the events industry, so I took the chance to study abroad and expand my horizons.

Professional writing has been a challenge for me when I came to Australia since English is not my first language and I have never written an academic paper before. However, Deakin provides many opportunities to move past this challenge. I am very grateful that the teacher was always around, I went to the consultation sessions and sent e-mails to the tutors frequently to communicate my ideas and doubts. They provided useful suggestions on the assignments, and I have learnt to think in a creative and critical way under the direction and encouragement of tutors.

Meanwhile, Deakin provides writing mentor services as free, personalised study support. They are on campus every week day and there is even no need to make an appointment. I usually brought my work to them and they would proof read one of the paragraphs, then kindly offer academic writing tips as well as assistance in grammar, expression and essay structure. Additionally, there are group assignments in the curriculum that allow me to learn from the working style of other excellent students. The most difficult thing is to get started, the rest will be easier. After a period of trying and learning, I’ve found my own style of writing and learning. Rather than struggling, I started to enjoy the challenges and the sense of achievement.

At Deakin, everything is easy if you keep an open mind to learn and explore. The wide range of opportunities here unfold the infinite possibility of my future. Recently, I have registered for Deakin’s England Work Integrated Learning Program – a new challenge for me. I believe the internship opportunity in a brand-new country would definitely strengthen my abilities to the next level. Step by step, I can feel my improvement and I am getting closer to my dream. Hopefully, you can be an audience and the witness of my events in the near future!