Research Insider: Huan Wang

A look inside Deakin University’s Institute for Frontier Materials with PhD student Huan Wang.

Hi, my name is Huan and I’m studying a Doctor of Philosophy at Deakin University’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus. I found out about this opportunity through research papers and online research. I previously graduated from my bachelor degree at Tianjin University in China, majoring in material science.

I received the Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarships (DUPRS) to study at Deakin. My research is fully supported by IFM and Deakin as they provide the tuition fees, stipend, and allowances.

My current research program is precipitation strengthening of magnesium alloys.

Magnesium alloys are promising materials to be used in the aerospace and automotive industries for decreasing the structural weight to increase the fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. My hope for my research program is that it can make a positive contribution to society.

My advice for Chinese students interested in conducting research at Deakin is that they should understand the basic knowledge of their research field and be willing to face every challenge.

To learn more about Deakin University’s Institute for Frontier Materials, click here.