My PhD journey at Deakin University

My name is Nantanit! My friends and supervisors also call me Rainie. I am in the third year of my Doctor of Philosophy (Nursing) at Deakin University’s School of Nursing and Midwifery. My PhD journey began in November 2013 after I was awarded a PhD scholarship from my workplace, Mahidol University in Thailand.

I completed a Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery from Mahidol University in 2001 and I have been working as a registered nurse since then. I am always passionate about learning something new and applying theories into practice for better nursing care.

A few years later, I pursued a Master of Nursing Administration at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. After completing this postgraduate degree, I started my new career as a lecturer at Ramathibodi Mahidol University. This job has fulfilled my goal in playing a vital role in educating nursing students. I utilised the knowledge and experience I gained from eight years clinical practice to shape the future of new nursing generations positively.

To be updated with a new body of academic knowledge and progress my career, I searched for a research higher degree program. I found that Australia offers a world-class tertiary education. I was fortunate to meet Professor Mari Botti from Deakin in Bangkok in 2013. After we had discussed, she agreed to have me as her PhD student.

My research area is antimicrobial stewardship in Thailand. I have a strong interest in this issue and intend to produce a high-quality research in this area.

I have a clear memory of my first day at Deakin University. It was an orientation day and I was very excited and impressed with the facilities at Deakin. This included the library, IT system and support, and the PhD student office. I have learnt a lot of skills from a series of workshops, thesis study groups, confirmation preparation, research integrity and human ethics training.

Happy time at Melbourne Zoo. He is real!

These components create a great learning environment that is necessary for my study. In addition, by attending those sessions I had an opportunity to meet other PhD students from other faculties and schools, where I have built friendship and exchanged experiences in study and research.

My supervision team is very supportive. We have regular meetings every fortnight to keep track of my study progression. Their guidance is not limited to supervising my work, but they also provide feedback on my academic performance.

Experiencing Australian culture

With the support of my supervisors, I have the opportunity to present my studies and key findings in several forums, for example the Research School Week organised by Deakin’s School of Nursing and Midwifery; The 4th International Conference on Prevention & Infection Control in Switzerland; The 8th International Congress of the Asia Pacific Society of Infection Control in Thailand; and Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control. I have gained more and more knowledge about my research area and presentation skills from every conference I have attended.

As an international student who is developing her research profile, I felt very rewarded when I received an outstanding research scholarship by Deakin’s School of Nursing and Midwifery in 2017. I am looking forward to completing my PhD study and maintaining research collaboration with Deakin in the future.

School of Nursing and Midwifery Award Night 2017

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page.