Deakin helped me to win Miss Internet Indonesia 2017

Since I was a child, I always thought to go to university. Not only to gain a degree but also to get a lifetime experience. And that’s exactly what Deakin University gave me.

Deakin really helped me to not just understand theories, gain knowledge and get an education, but also to gain practical experiences and network with a wide range of professionals.

Back in 2012, I started a Bachelor of Management (now known as the Bachelor of Business) at Deakin’s Melbourne Burwood Campus. I was able to take electives in other study areas as part of this degree, which meant that I was able to diversify my skill set.

With friends at my graduation

During my university life I enjoyed being involved in events and workshops held by the Deakin Commerce Society. This was really useful for me because it connected me with other students and industry leaders, such as KPMG and Ernst & Young. I also volunteered as part of the International Student Support team in my 2nd year. It was here that I got to help international students, like me, to make the most of their university experience.

I then joined Deakin’s international exchange program which allowed me to meet new friends from all across the globe, while still being able to do my course through the online classes wherever I was.

In my third year of study, through Deakin’s internship program, I got the chance to work with the Australian Academy of Sales as a Digital Strategist. This experience gave me so much insight about how Integrated Digital Marketing strategies can create huge impacts for companies, especially in this era of information.

After gaining some work experience during my studies and after my graduation in 2015, I decided to come back to my country – Indonesia – to work in digital media. All the things I experienced while studying at Deakin led me to become Miss Internet Indonesia 2017! This pageant competition is a brainchild of the Indonesian Internet Service Providers Association, an umbrella organization for major ISP companies which promote various government-backed internet campaigns. These campaigns encourage safe internet use, fight hoax news, and teach computer and internet literacy to the public.

The moment I won Miss Internet Indonesia 2017

This was such an honour for me, because by becoming an entrepreneur I can help people or businesses. But by becoming Miss Internet Indonesia I can help even more people because I believe what matters is not about your title, but what value you can give to society.

My goal is to promote safe and positive internet use. I want to do this by minimising cybercrime through comprehensive training; connecting the dots between start-ups and small medium enterprises to create solutions for society; and improving the quality of human resources through online classes for free so that all people can have the opportunity to study as long as they have internet access.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page.