Study, scholarships, and snow in Australia

The pleasure to have received an Australia Awards scholarship continues as I am here in Australia to pursue my dream to become a professional engineer. Studying abroad – which I believed could enhance my experience and competency – has always been one of many milestones in my life. I never expected to receive an Australia Awards scholarship, since this was the only prestigious scholarship that I applied form, and judging from the total number of applicants and the scholarship’s priority fields of study, I thought I had a low chance to grab it. But a door was opened for me as if that was the time provided for me to take a break from my job and continue my studies.

As a scholarship recipient, I needed to choose my university preference. At that time, I was thinking that I wanted to study in Adelaide in South Australia because I found a university that offered a program that related to my job as a control system engineer. But I was hesitant and still looked for other university programs to make sure that I had the best choice. How lucky I was to have come across Deakin University’s booth at a university course information day. I was able to find the best program for me – the Master of Engineering (Professional). Now, I’ve just completed my first trimester at Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus and I’m looking forward to experiencing other fantastic things here.

At Bourke Street hanging out with friends

Living in Geelong is not too shabby at all. I live here in a share house with multicultural housemates. Not only does this give me the opportunity to improve my English skills, but also it is a good chance to learn and share stories about our countries, such as traditional food, some good places to visit, and daily spoken language. I’d never cooked before I came to Australia but since arriving here I have gained some cooking skills, because buying food at the restaurant can be costly. Moreover, cooking has become a part of my hobby and I love experimenting every time I cook.

It is true that being a student, I have to put study as my first priority. However, I also have to balance my study and my time to have fun. I’m a person who loves traveling a lot because it broadens my horizons and provides a different perspective of something that I haven’t known. Also it is the best medication for getting rid of my stress! I’ve visited several places in the Australian state of Victoria and my favourite place is the snowy place, Mount Buller. I went to Mt Buller together with my fellow Indonesian friends and we unfurled our national flag that turns out to be the most memorable moment for me.

Visiting Mount Buller with friendsI still want to visit some other places in Australia and New Zealand, so I hope my adventurous time here will be splendid to be remembered for the whole of my life.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page.