Dreams do come true in Melbourne

I always had a dream to study and visit one of Australia’s most iconic cities. It never occurred to me that I would ever come to Melbourne to do a Bachelor of Biomedical Science.

After finishing my Cambridge ‘A’ Levels which is similar to VCE in Melbourne, I had no clue of what I was going to do and where I was going to study. I was initially interested in Malaysia as it was closer to where I am from, but I went to a local agent who suggested universities from Melbourne, and Deakin really grabbed my attention. Deakin is ranked number one for Student Satisfaction in the Australian state of Victoria and it is without a doubt, the ultimate truth – the amount of help that students receive from their friends and lecturers is outstanding.

At the Deakin University Melbourne Burwood Campus

I was ecstatic upon receiving my offer letter from Deakin. This was my first trip overseas and it was daunting at first as I did not know what to expect, but when I attended orientation, I met some amazing people and made great friends. You get used to being away from home because of the friendly environment Deakin never fails to provide.

You get used to being away from home because of the friendly environment Deakin never fails to provide.

Studying at the library on campus

Studying at the library on campus

The facilities provided by Deakin University are out of this world. There is no reason for you to not reach your full potential with the help you get from this university. For most units you take, there is a session called PASS, which stands for Peer Assisted Study Session. This is a session where students help students, and it is very helpful if you are aiming for good grades. Everyone in the university is very welcoming, and even if you do not know them, they will come up to you anyway. It is very easy to strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere in Melbourne.

Everyone in the university is very welcoming, and even if you do not know them, they will come up to you anyway.

It has already been a year in Melbourne and at Deakin. The science staff, like the tutors and course advisers, are very helpful, and for me as a biomedical science student, the laboratory sessions are amazing and very interactive.

In the lab with my classmate

In the lab with my classmate

One day, I had an all-day trip to this beautiful mountain called Mount Buller where it snows, and it was the best day of my life. Coming from a very humid and tropical country, to see snow for the first time, was absolutely stunning.

Every penny is worth it when it comes to studying at Deakin, and without a doubt, Deakin has improved my communication and teamwork skills to prepare me for the real world and to bravely accept any challenges that I will face. And hey, it also does not hurt to try new things, which Deakin encourages. I am so glad to be part of the Deakin family.