For the love of nutrition (& coffee!)

Hey, my name is Syahirah and I’m from Singapore. People often mistake my name for Shakira so I let them call me ‘Sha’ instead.

I’m doing a Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences at Deakin, currently in my second year. One of the best things about Deakin is that I received seven credits for prior learning from my polytechnic diploma in Singapore. So I dived straight into Trimester 2 of my first year at Deakin. This made my workload more manageable.

One of the best things about Deakin is that I received seven credits for prior learning from my polytechnic diploma in Singapore. So I dived straight into Trimester 2 of my first year at Deakin.

Enjoying the sunshine in Melbourne

Enjoying the sunshine in Melbourne

My favourite module so far would be anything related to physiology. I know it’s content-heavy, but I like to challenge myself. Nutrition modules are absolutely fascinating as well because they’re current and practical. Food science-related modules might seem dull at first but the practicals are usually much more pleasant. For example, in HSN 206: Food Analysis and Quality Assurance, we determined the amount of sulphur dioxide in wines by direct titration and distillation/titration. The lab that we used had the latest equipment, and I liked how we could key in our experiment results into the iPad for submission.

Studying on campus

Studying on campus

The library at the Melbourne Burwood Campus is stunning. Modern facilities are available and it’s huge. It is a conducive environment to study and an ideal place to complete my assignments, because I get way too distracted at home.

I always knew that I wanted to study nutrition, since health is my utmost priority. A few years ago, I had some trouble with eating, which motivated me to study in the field. I received great feedback about my skills from my supervisor at the Health Promotion Board in Singapore, where I was an intern. Plus, having a diploma in food science and nutrition certainly made it easier to further my studies at Deakin.

My mum and I doing touristy things in Melbourne

Fast forward to 2016, I have never looked back since. Melbourne is amazing; the friendly people, a melting pot of cultures, the weather (four seasons in a day – I’ll take that), and the amazing food and coffee scene.

Coffee helps me stay awake especially when I have a whole day of lectures

Not only that, studying in Melbourne meant that I could find part-time work, as long as I manage my time well. I’m really passionate about coffee and so I’m working at Black Flat Coffee Brewers in Glen Waverley now (say, ‘Hi!’ if you’re getting a coffee).

Overall, studying abroad is indeed challenging but I believe I’ve made the right decision to study at Deakin.